• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mounting E30 Battery erminal Junction Box on Firewall (Where

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Me & Hugo Posting.jpg

URL: http://im4bmw.freewebspace.com/index.html

Sorry, if this has been covered before, but I really don't recall ever seeing a "definitive" answer on where to mount the junction box on the firewall where it will MISS the stock tii air box.

The engine is still out of Hugo so there is no way I can check for clearance. But, it appears to me in looking at my other tii and other cars that there is NO WAY to mount the box in the "usual spot" to avoid the air cannister....CORRECT?

Who has done this before that has a tii with stock air cannister?

I DO NOT want to drill a hole in the firewall only to have the box not clear the air cannister once the engine is reinstalled....

Many thanks for your help on this,

John

'72tii "Hugo"

Guest Anonymous

Our M2 has it mounted on the inside of the right side fender, just ahead of the strut mount. In this case it's a handy spot with nothing else nearby and no tight bends of the high-voltage line.

Guest Anonymous

Get one gold plated. I put mine next to the battery

tray by the radiator. Protected a bit behind the front

nose. But I have a non tii with L Jetronic efi on my

car so it could be a different situation. But gold

plated box is great..NO COROSION

Guest Anonymous

Short answer is I didn't - the PO did (groan. sorry).

Longer answer isn't much more helpful - I'll look tonight. It may be a matter of how the cable was run. From memory (uh oh) the cable pops through the rear firewall ('75), along the interior passenger side floor, and exits the front firewall high. I'll post/send a photo tonight (biked to work today).

Guest Anonymous

John

I have an E30 setup on my car and I mounted it on the right side firewall to the right of the distributor. Battery cable is more than long enough to reach there. Then to have enough to go from the junction you need to have the long cables off the E30. You can then splice them into the wiring harness of the 02 as they are more than long enough to reach over to the harness on the left side. If you didn't get those go back to the bone yard and pull those too, just cut them off long enough to serve your needs and get the long starter cable too.

Missed you at Carlisle Hope the family events went well

Good luck

Guest Anonymous

That is why the 2002 is so modifiable. I ran 0/2 cable from battery in trunk to the front to high end gold plated distribution box with 4 taps feeding up to 4 gauge coming off of it. Rock solid elctricity with 318i 80 amp setup. Considering the upgrades. H4 lights,2 gauges,stereo amps. fuel injection. It adds up pretty quick.