floatinghead

Did a stupid thing today

14 posts / 471 viewsLast Reply

So.....  I'd been working on my car trying to figure out the weird sounds coming from the trans areal after installing a new starter.  I had the front wheels on ramps and rear on jackstands.  Car felt solid for some time.

well....  I was lifting up the back end to remove jack stands and front wheels started rolling down the ramp pushing the jack I was lifting with back at me!  Rolled to garage floor stopping at a board at the bottom of the ramp tipping one jackstand and the other found its way to the  drivers side backseat floor.  

Kinda scary and I didn't get hurt, but need to be MUCH smarter and more careful. Feel stupid but can learn from that.   I also now have the floor sheet metal all mucked up and pushed in that I have to contend with.  

Any tips on getting the floor back to its original-ish shape?  

Glad you are ok.

That is scary!

A BFH applied to strategic spots with friend holding dolly from underneath.

Or

A porta power, or come-along with welded attachment points on the floor pulling down.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm glad you didn't get hurt.
My wife's friends husband died from a car falling on him while working under it. After I put a car on jack stands I shake, rock and snatch the car every which way for a least a couple minutes before I get under it. Im not about to have my hobby kill me...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Yeah, I was under it prior replacing trans mount. I gave the body some good shoves and it was solid. I think when I lifted it from the rear, it pulled the front wheels back which then went down the ramp. Not good!

I think I’m going to look into the quick jack. I have a low ceiling garage with tight space around and this might be just the right thing to feel more secure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just made solid wood blocks that can go under the tires (and easily store).  Use the jack to lift, but then put the weight back on the tires.  Quick jack is like $1000, wood blocks can be as little as $50.  Get a 2x10 from the store, laminate layers paying attention to the grain orientation as wood can cup slightly as it dries out.  Then use some strips on the ends to prevent the wheels from rolling off the blocks.  I almost never use my axle stands now that I have these.  4 can be built and stored very easily as they are independent.  A quick jack is quite a large ordeal.

• Like 1

I've thought about the quickjacks- friend has some, they're nice.

But really, I just put it up on jack stands...  It's as simple as

1.  Ebrake on level hard ground

2.  Jack under center of front subframe 15 or 20" (40 to 50cm for those stuck with the metric system)

3.  Jack stands under frame rails (inboard from jack points)

4.  Let the car down gently onto jack stands

5.  Rear of car, jack under rear diff, elevate car

6.  Jack stands under the rear subframe out wide

7.  Gently let the car down

8.  Cars on jack stands, probably a real 3 or 4 minutes (don't know what that is in metric, sorry guys.)

About jack stands- I've got 3 different sizes, small, medium and large.  Now that I have the medium ones, I use them almost exclusively.  I can only get a tooth or 2 pulling the centers up out of the stands and they're at the car height.  The little ones freak me out a little bit because they're pulled so far out to be at height...

• Like 1

8.  Cars on jack stands, probably a real 3 or 4 minutes (don't know what that is in metric, sorry guys.)

time is universal, metric or imperial.

I guess there was no way to equate time to the length of a reigning King’s thumb or foot back in the day...

But I share your same method for working under my car. I’ll put only the front up on jack stands to work under the motor, because the backs can be locked by either putting in gear + e-brake.

Never put jack stands only under the rear, get the whole car up in the air if you have to, because there’s no really secure way to lock the fronts without something applying the brakes.

Also, when you put the car up on 4 stands, as Dave recommends, do the front first, then the back, and bring it back down in the reverse order so you have braked wheels on the ground first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If I do use jack stands I have the jack at almost full height beside me where I am working under the car, so If it does fall off, I still have something that I could jack the car off of me, (perhaps with my legs) and my skull wouldn't be crushed immediately.

• Like 1

Get a piece of beam falloff (6x12 or so) from a nearby construction site. Slide under car while you're working under it. Good protection from getting crushed.

• Like 1

All this is easier if you always work on level ground, , I've used jack stands, ramps and floor jacks my whole life, No issues at all. The only time I ever had a problem when I was younger was using the POS jack that comes with the car for changing tire, Got out of the way just in time before it broke and the car fell

• Like 1

Dead blow hammers work great on springy metal like floors.

Bigger IS better!

t

has NEVER done anything like that...

• Like 1

(edited)

I use mostly one foot long 4" X 6" solid wood blocks. I sometimes  use a smaller 2" X 4"  section on top of the 4" X 6" sections for a smaller increment. And, I always rest the weight of the car on to the blocks, never rest the weight on the jack, only use it for hoisting. If lifting only one end, always chuck the wheels on the other end. Never hurry doing this part, always be slow and methodical. The surface area on the jack stands seems too small, so I never use them. I've been using wood blocks for the past 35 years. It's great you came out unhurt. Use a mallet for the floor. Body - working hammers are great, but you may want to use a large mallet. Set something like a wood block to use as an anvil against the other side.

Slavs

Edited by Slavs
  • Like 1

As far as your dented floor, hammer on one side, Bag of sand on the other

• Like 1