ians

Locked Out

8 posts / 209 viewsLast Reply

I parked the car a few weeks ago and locked both of the doors. The locks have been gummy feeling for a bit but have always worked, today they decided not to. When I put the key in either door lock and turn to unlock I can see the interior button lock jiggle around but not enough for the latch to release. After jiggling for a bit I can feel some resistance on the door lock button but still not enough to release the door. I have tried WD-40 and graphite dust so far neither have helped. If I turn the key to lock the doors they both feel like they are pulling tight. I can also see the interior lock move down much more confidently then up.

Are there any tricks to getting out of this? 

no luck, used my hip to push in and pulled up on the handle while twisting the key back and forth, no difference. 

I recently had trouble unlocking my passenger door, and my lock also went down easier than up. For me the top of the interior lock button was going too far down I think and when it tried to come back up through the little black grommet on the top of the door card it wasn't angled properly. When I unlocked it by opening the door with the interior handle the rod pushed the grommet up out of the door panel. Maybe your problem is similar

Zip tie to the rescue. Made a loose loop with the zip tie, stuck it down between the glass and seal, got it around the interior button, carefully pulled it tight to close the loop on the button and pulled up. Success!

And now I have a new task on the list this weekend.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Stevenc22 said:

Snake a coat hanger into the door past the seal and pull the interior handle.

The time proven method handed down generation to generation 

You might want to use Triflow in your lock mechanisms. It has a bit more solvent in the delivery medium to dissolve crud, but then leaves behind a dry lubricant.