Hodgepodge

Dash console ideas?

24 posts / 698 viewsLast Reply

I've been fiddling with the bluetooth radio I have in the glove box of my Chamonix 2002 and have determined that leaving it in there is too much of a PITA to be practical.  The original radio is still in the console, but the whole thing looks...OK...but is sort of floppy and loose as I've never really spent any time on it since purchasing the car except to get in front of it for other wiring.  Now that the interior is almost done, I think it is time to address this.  I have seen the Koogleworks console but that's not quite right for me.  I even bought a Honda center console/armrest/storage box, as discussed elsewhere on the site, but that isn't quite right for this car either.  I've seen a lot of nice radio consoles on the site here but most of the discussions are older and the image links are broken.  Please share your console designs and images.  I'd really appreciate it!     

SCH_0107.JPG

• Like 1

You know, I feel exactly the same as you plus it’s worse for me as I want A/C. 

Solution: go console delete with a small under dash housing for a stereo head unit (or put that in the glovebox for an ultra clean look). Search up some pictures, it looks awesome. 

The A/C then goes in the trunk and I have uninterrupted dash beauty without what looks like a badly home made console, even stock and fresh from the factory. 

The Koogleworks stuff is definitely top notch though and is the best way of producing a better console than BMW managed.  It is what I would do if I wasn’t going with a console delete. 

I love my Koogleworks console, but I understand where you're coming from.  I actually don't have it cut for a radio right now, but I've been toying with a stealth setup.

Console.thumb.JPG.6ad511399b65794903bfd8c9de29a1ba.JPG

Trying to figure out the best way to wire 2 speakers to a Bluetooth receiver in the glovebox, no head unit.  All of my music gets played off my phone already, so I don't really see the need for a head unit.    

• Like 1

(edited)
17 minutes ago, Leucadian said:

I love my Koogleworks console, but I understand where you're coming from.  I actually don't have it cut for a radio right now, but I've been toying with a stealth setup.

Trying to figure out the best way to wire 2 speakers to a Bluetooth receiver in the glovebox, no head unit.  All of my music gets played off my phone already, so I don't really see the need for a head unit.    

Yes, I don't really need the extra gauges.  AceAndrew has a nice post on how to do a hidden stereo on his site.  He posted it here long ago but the images are gone.  Here is the link.  https://adamsautosport.com/information/tutorials/bmw-2002-hidden-stereo-guide-version-1/    I'm thinking about that option too, but this car is not really stock so I don't mind putting a modern head unit in.   Currently, the working head unit is in the glovebox and the speakers are in the knee panels.    

Edited by Hodgepodge
  • Thanks 1

I'm thinking of putting a bluetooth under the rear seats. Who needs a head unit these days?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I also want to give two thumbs up for Kooglewerks. His products are high quality. I just assembled my console with his faceplate and cup holders, and two side panels I bought from Esty a while back. It's definitely not to everyone's taste, especially those who love and want to maintain the vintage look and feel, but it fits my wants perfectly. 

IMG_20190514_181233_016.jpg

• Like 3

(edited)
7 hours ago, Leucadian said:

OK, now I'm waffling.  The VDO gauges do look pretty nice.  How did you wire them and how did you set up the sensors?  Are the BMW gauges still working?    

Also, I just found a non-gauge faceplate on the Kooglewerks site that would work.  So that might be my best option.  Looks kind of boring though....

Edited by Hodgepodge

Here is my current center console.  I am in the process of doing a more elaborate one right now.  

56CED2FB-1B54-44D6-ADDA-C7081B66F564.thumb.jpeg.e7e3992364ab3df01d7dd417fecad9ef.jpeg

5A54A86E-06DC-418B-9797-2D3DF9316C44.thumb.jpeg.d7c3084600d74f85d84ead7b598de23f.jpeg

• Like 3

Just now, jrhone said:

Here is my current center console.  I am in the process of doing a more elaborate one right now.  

56CED2FB-1B54-44D6-ADDA-C7081B66F564.thumb.jpeg.e7e3992364ab3df01d7dd417fecad9ef.jpeg

NIce.  I think I am going to order the blank faceplate from Kooglewerks to eliminate the useless ashtray and then I'll start looking into the gauge cluster option and what is involved in setting up the gauges.  

Gauges are easy..u just put in the senders are wire the gauges to them.  Just get the appropriate senders for the M10.  Plenty of info on them.  

On 5/17/2019 at 3:05 PM, Hodgepodge said:

OK, now I'm waffling.  The VDO gauges do look pretty nice.  How did you wire them and how did you set up the sensors?  Are the BMW gauges still working?    

Also, I just found a non-gauge faceplate on the Kooglewerks site that would work.  So that might be my best option.  Looks kind of boring though....

As @jrhone mentioned, pretty easy.  Added the VDO sender near the dizzy for oil pressure (the sender allows the idiot light to still function along with the gauge), added the a water sensor to the intake manifold coolant hose, and wired the battery gauge to the dash harness.

All the BMW gauges still work.  This was my first attempt at wiring, and it wasn't too much of a pain.  Just makes sure you get the right senders for the right gauges, and that the range for your oil pressure gauge reads up to 150 (not 100).

Water temp sender

Water.JPG.f6908a5f495cd516817e6627e106a12b.JPG

Wiring - Ideally, I would have used brown wires for all the grounds, but these is all I had at the time.

Wires.JPG.2874203d65fbc40abc47351649134ca7.JPG

Looks terrific!  Well, I ordered the no-gauge version from Kooglewerks and will play with that one for a bit before deciding if I want to go with the gauges option.  Both of my 2002s had A/C and I will probably put it back. in some form, into the Polaris.  In the meantime I re-wired the head unit that was in the glove box into the console and left the old, broken, unused speaker grill in the console.  Looks OK.  It looks like I had 2 generations of stereo wiring to undo.  Whoever wired the previous stereo ran a fused lead directly from the battery through one of the now-empty A/C line holes in the firewall (with no grommets or plugs to keep the fumes out....).  That lead was still hot but abandoned.  The most recent stereo wiring involved tapping into the always-hot lead on the hazard warning switch.  No idea where the original radio lead is but there is an abandoned accessory lead that doesn't work.  There is a lot of similar nonsense under the hood with abandoned emissions control wiring  At least with the Polaris, stripped down to bare metal and wiring harnesses 90% removed, I can put everything back together the way it shoud be...   Still....this is a LOT easier than figuring out what people did to screw up the wiring on my E28s.....  :-)    Oh, I digress.   Here's the best shot I have of the re-work I just completed.  Very short, very light single DIN $40 "Dual" (remember thier turntables?) Bluetooth head unit now in the dash.  stereo speakers mounted in the fiberboard knee panels under the dash.  (Might swap those out for Koogleerks speaker panels.  This car has carpeted-over cut-outs for 6x9 speakers under the rear seat, but I don't really want to go down that road. 

If you have any other console ideas, please let me know!   

SCH_0250s.thumb.jpg.27eb8b6e70c21bad6d477021dd72f886.jpg

Edited by Hodgepodge
  • Like 1

@grizzlebar  I'm going ot wait until my next 2002 project to do go ditigal wiht the dash....that one will have the 4 cylinder BMW N20 turbo in it!  :-)  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hodgepodge said:

@grizzlebar  I'm going ot wait until my next 2002 project to do go ditigal wiht the dash....that one will have the 4 cylinder BMW N20 turbo in it!  🙂

What a terrible idea. Those engines are so bad that when my friend's mechanic called the dealer to order one, they quoted him around $2000 and showed they had 95 available. BMW is obviously trying to manage the situation quietly. OTOH, if you like to live dangerously, new turbo motor for $2000. What could go wrong?