• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

someone has drunk the Kool aid

conkitchen

Price: $100

Description:

$40-60K for a restored 1600, Oh Yeah.  

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/d/pleasanton-1968-bmw-1600-coupe/6889179916.html 

1968 BMW 1600 COUPE - $18500 (dublin / pleasanton / livermore) 

1968 BMW 1600 

condition: fair 
cylinders: 3 cylinders 
fuel: gas 
odometer: 72068 
paint color: blue 
title status: clean 
transmission: manual 
type: coupe 

Here is a 1968 BMW 1600 Coupe'. This car was what started the craze of a small and sporty german sedan. It soon led to the production of the famous 2002 which was the car that saved BMW, this car has a slate blue exterior color with chrome accents around the car, and a leather/ cloth interior. This car is in need of restoration, it is a classic and historical car. Restored 1600's go for more than 40 to 60 thousand dollars when fully restored, this is a fair price in a fair market value. Reasonable offers are welcome. 

image.png

Edited by conkitchen
  • Like 1

But what do I know

Yes, this illustrates exactly what I've been trying to convey in my recent posts. It is fast becoming the norm. Somebody is selling a pretty clean, although, incorrect 1968 1600 for $69,000. Notice it is missing that Swan neck mirror. There are other flaws as well. So this "Yahoo" sees this ad and decides to ask $18K+ for his un-restored car, missing a bunch of parts. The insanity is feeding itself, the peddlers are peddling their wares along with 02s, the melon vendors have also jumped on the bandwagon and the speculators are trying to make a quick buck. Now, they have discovered our cars. And, they are trying to ruin it for us.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/bmw/1600/2231480.html

1 hour ago, Slavs said:

Yes, this illustrates exactly what I've been trying to convey in my recent posts. It is fast becoming the norm. Somebody is selling a pretty clean, although, incorrect 1968 1600 for $69,000. Notice it is missing that Swan neck mirror. There are other flaws as well. So this "Yahoo" sees this ad and decides to ask $18K+ for his un-restored car, missing a bunch of parts. The insanity is feeding itself, the peddlers are peddling their wares along with 02s, the melon vendors have also jumped on the bandwagon and the speculators are trying to make a quick buck. Now, they have discovered our cars. And, they are trying to ruin it for us.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/bmw/1600/2231480.html

I must admit the Campy-shod car is quite nice. Certainly not perfect, as you say, but really beautiful. I’d bet that asking price is more than double the previous record price for a ‘68 1600-2: equally mint examples of 1968 1600-2’s seem to top out in the high $20K’s. Whether they get anything approaching $69K, however, is quite another matter....?

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I find everything on Hemmings to be priced significantly above reality. Most of the ads tend to be dealers not private sellers. 

They used to have a great sports car mag that is unfortunately now defunct. I was always amused when one of the writers would suggest finding a bargain on their site for whatever model they were reviewing. 

Then again, there are uneducated folks with deep pockets that are willing to purchase at inflated prices. In fact, they see the high price and shiny paint as proof of it's worth. 

4 hours ago, EPK said:

I find everything on Hemmings to be priced significantly above reality. Most of the ads tend to be dealers not private sellers. 

They used to have a great sports car mag that is unfortunately now defunct. I was always amused when one of the writers would suggest finding a bargain on their site for whatever model they were reviewing. 

Then again, there are uneducated folks with deep pockets that are willing to purchase at inflated prices. In fact, they see the high price and shiny paint as proof of it's worth. 

To add fuel to this fire: The item below was listed on Hemmings last month for $3,000.00 Yes 3K out of Washington State. I communicated with the seller who was a bit veiled about the car when questioned for detailed images and condition, however forthright in the pricing.  I passed and then it reappears weeks later on Hemmings again. Quick flip $10K out of Los Angeles. 

image.png

• Like 1

But what do I know

To add fuel to this fire: The item below was listed on Hemmings last month for $3,000.00 Yes 3K out of Washington State. I communicated with the seller who was a bit veiled about the car when questioned for detailed images and condition, however forthright in the pricing.  I passed and then it reappears weeks later on Hemmings again. Quick flip $10K out of Los Angeles. 

image.thumb.png.32401631a8c413bcc93188afabebde97.png

This dealer is a little...interesting. I’m sure you didn’t miss much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, conkitchen said:

image.png

Never saw it for $3k, but in Sep '18 the WA Seller wanted $9500, then in January he had come down to $4500.

BHCC have wrecks & strangely enough, a couple have ended up in Europe.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Never saw it for $3k, but in Sep '18 the WA Seller wanted $9500, then in January he had come down to $4500.

BHCC have wrecks & strangely enough, a couple have ended up in Europe.

I visited their location to look at a 993 that was $10k below market. Turns out it was “running rich” and failed smog in CA. Most likely needed a top end rebuild, this on top of the bad respray and shot interior.

But will say they had some really cool stuff. 10-12 Austins, E24 M6, Ferrari and Porsche by the bunch. More like a museum, a fun place to visit. They just seem to play the arbitrage game with folks who don’t do their homework on both sides of the transaction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I'm new to this community.  I have been a motorcycle guy for the past 30 years, restoring multiple old BMWs, Guzzi and Triumphs.  I had 2002s in the late 70s and early 80s along with a couple of 911s and other interesting cars.  I decided to get back in to a car and bought a 914 initially, hated it.  I bought an E46 330 coupe and it was ok but too new.  I started my search for a 2002 and have purchased 3 so far, a black '74 for about $13k that was a good driver but needed some straightening out, sold it for $13k.  Bought a '76 for $14k and it needs paint but over all a very nice driving 93K mile car.  Now I have purchased a '74 Tii for $22,500 with 139k verifiable miles on the car.  This is a nice car and would be even nicer if the PO had not lowered it.  None of these cars needed restoration, just some tweaking.  I guess value is what we are willing to pay.  Maybe I paid too much for what I have in the garage and maybe not.  I can say this, I really like driving my 2002s.  It isn't even a money thing, I prefer them over the 911s, 914s and other toys I looked at.  02s are unmatched in smiles / dollar.

57929892195__A5E22F88-B68B-4EB2-B536-5FDFBDA8CD9A.JPG

57920600838__D8C49ED3-253A-4F5D-BFFC-3708145D8042.JPG

56393572121__A3A81A8B-D6C2-48F9-878B-6A1D2BF5C872.JPG

IMG_1656.JPG

• Like 3