02Anders

What to do when visiting Orlando??

14 posts / 237 viewsLast Reply

Hey there,

I'll be in Orlando from late afternoon on Thursday the 23rd May to early afternoon Sunday the 26th May.
Just wondering if anyone here might have some suggestions for classic car related stuff to do during that time??
Anything 02 would obviously be amazing, but I doubt I'l be that lucky.  But seeing as it's over the weekend, might there be any Cars and Coffee meets or similar?\

If not, how about a decent car museum or something like that?  All suggestions are welcome...  😊

Stand in line in sweltering humidity at Disney

• Like 1

Get out of Orlando and see the real Florida 

just south of you is miles of citrus groves and 100 lakes

Anders,

Go to the Cape and check out space history, maybe see a launch..  Hit an astronaut bar in Cocoa. ;)

Tom

• Like 2

If you are visiting Disney, Disney Springs has a fleet of Amphicars you can ride. Sebring is to the south, Daytona to the northeast. If you are willing to make a trip of things, the Revs Institute is in Sarasota. But I second Visionaut - head out to Kennedy Space Center, spend a day at Canaveral National Seashore, and see some real Florida. 

• Like 2

Obviously not 02 related, but the Don Garlits museum of drag racing is 65 miles away from Orlando:

http://garlits.com/

• Like 1

On 5/17/2019 at 9:59 AM, iinca said:

Stand in line in sweltering humidity at Disney

That's why you go in December😜

• Like 1

Thx for everyones input - appreciate it!  😊

On 5/17/2019 at 2:27 AM, John_in_VA said:

You'll be there the weekend between events at Sebring Int'l Raceway, 79 miles south of Orlando:

https://sebringraceway.com/sebring-events/2019-schedule-of-upcoming-events-2

That's a real bummer isn't it?  😕

On 5/17/2019 at 4:06 AM, visionaut said:

Anders,

Go to the Cape and check out space history, maybe see a launch..  Hit an astronaut bar in Cocoa. ;)

Tom

I was actually considering this.  I've got two daughters so have done various Disney's too many times for me to bother counting.  But I've thus far never visited the Space Center...

On 5/17/2019 at 9:12 PM, photog02 said:

If you are visiting Disney, Disney Springs has a fleet of Amphicars you can ride. Sebring is to the south, Daytona to the northeast. If you are willing to make a trip of things, the Revs Institute is in Sarasota. But I second Visionaut - head out to Kennedy Space Center, spend a day at Canaveral National Seashore, and see some real Florida. 

Justin, that sounds like a fab suggestion!  I've of course heard of Revs, but don't really know much about it and didn't even know where they were at.  Looking at their website, this could easily make for a great day out...  👍

On 5/18/2019 at 2:32 AM, TimMN said:

Obviously not 02 related, but the Don Garlits museum of drag racing is 65 miles away from Orlando:

http://garlits.com/

Tim, that's certainly an option too.  Us Europeans generally know waaaay too little about drag racing.  Would be interesting and perhaps even make for a decent article for ViaRETRO...  Thx!

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 8:06 PM, visionaut said:

Anders,

Tom

Absolutely, totally, completely second this suggestion!!

I visited it once before it was "theme-parked".  That was amazing, with the various vehicles and boosters scattered around in their natural habitat.  The Saturn 5 was simply incredible and made you appreciate the engineering with the technology of the 50's.

Even now, despite the taming of the layout, it is something else!

2 hours ago, West Palm 2002 said:

This should help 

81EE7477-0E88-4654-A3D1-BE25318CE411.png

I feel inclined to say...: That's just ACE!!  😜

A shame I'm not there on the Tuesday for BMW Night.  Still, it should be interesting to drop by during my stay in Orlando...

Thx!