Slavs

Some Mods ?

28 posts / 743 viewsLast Reply

FWIW, I find 14" wheels to be right in the 'Goldilocks' zone; Big enough to fill some of the vacant arch space and find decent tires for, but not so big as to have issues with rubbing, poor ride, heavy steering, etc. that can often plague 15-inchers.  I always thought bottlecaps looked great on 2002s, but it's true they are pretty heavy.  Basketweaves are too much of a pain to deal with cleaning and replacing caps, but I'm finally happy with the not-too-big, not-too-small, easy-to-deal-with 14" panasports I've finally settled on!

IMG_20190320_145638.thumb.jpg.5b76a595e964e24e66362f7c6f186f26.jpg

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Slavs said:

I can’t comprehend some of the mods, like large diameter wheels and low profile tires. Sticking on 15” 55 or 50 profile heavy tires significantly increases unsprung weight inducing heavy steering and a sluggish handling car. And nobody is asking the wheel bearings how they feel. I remember when e30 bottle caps became all the rage. Those things are Heavy ! I won’t get into ride comfort. Pretty soon some people will have a solid wheel with a piece of rubber tacked around. Why did they invent pneumatic-tires To hell with comfort. We want BIG wheels, “V” rated ultra low profile tires on an 02 ?

Slavs, you're on a roll with the opinion posts!

I'd bet my BBS RS's with Ti hardware are lighter than my 13x6.5 Mini-lights. More traction, less un-sprung weight, tighter handling, steezy looks :)

Somebody must be energized by @AceAndrew 's 'unpopular opinion thread, haha. 

Slavs, . Hell, we had plenty of Zinc in the oil back then. The engines lasted longer.

Uh no, Today's motors run way longer, Tolerances much tighter and designed to run on synthetic, Today's motors run hundreds of thousands of miles easily if maintained.

They are faster if done correctly.  I have tried 13x6 with 195, 205, and 215 tires. 13x10 with 255/40R13 tires and 15x10 with 275/35R15

The fastest wheel tire combo was 15x10 with 275/35R15, 12lb per wheel 20lb per tire, so 32lb per corner. they now have 295/35R13. Would have tried that one too if still had the car 

• Like 1

Hi Steve...Love the gallery update! Thanks for continually finding ways to improve the FAQ, you do an awesome job.

COOP (from Boston)

PS: Hand Pass

Edited by COOP

Just from an aesthetic point of view, I searched for 15” wheels that actually looked more like 13-inchers (having small centers that don’t extend all the way to the perimeter of the wheel). I think I accomplished this because people are often surprised that they’re that large.

I’m fine with the ride quality, even with 55s, full coil-overs and urethane bushings throughout. It’s exactly what I wanted and it took some trial & error with spring rates/ride height. I guess everyone has their own definition of what constitutes an acceptable/desirable ride quality.

We’re all entitled to an opinion when it comes to stylistic or performance choices...I guess maybe it just gets a bit abrasive when an opinion is expressed contemptuously, as though it’s a “right or wrong” thing (which it’s not).

ED3A7E8A-0910-4830-924F-D251E4E46283.png

Edited by COOP
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, AustrianVespaGuy said:

FWIW, I find 14" wheels to be right in the 'Goldilocks' zone; Big enough to fill some of the vacant arch space and find decent tires for, but not so big as to have issues with rubbing, poor ride, heavy steering, etc. that can often plague 15-inchers.  I always thought bottlecaps looked great on 2002s, but it's true they are pretty heavy.  Basketweaves are too much of a pain to deal with cleaning and replacing caps, but I'm finally happy with the not-too-big, not-too-small, easy-to-deal-with 14" panasports I've finally settled on!

IMG_20190320_145638.thumb.jpg.5b76a595e964e24e66362f7c6f186f26.jpg

Just about to start daily'ing mine again while waiting for a new knee, it has 14" e30 basket weaves, I love them...... but they are filthy before you get to the end of the road (and not easy to clean if you do it a lot....shh don't tell Marshall) so I think I will be going with Superlites, I really like the classic look and the ease of cleaning

I feel very little difference between a 13 and 14" wheel, but that may just be my butometer!

IMG_1741.PNG

I've been a 02 owner for 38 consecutive years. I started the first couple of years pf 02 ownership with 13' wheels before I upgraded to 14" wheels for nearly 25 years (E30 bottlecaps and basketweaves). Then on to 15" wheels (Alpina replica's, Rota RB and now Centra type 11)  with 195/50-15 tires. No regrets, much better tire selection in 15". All my 15" wheels (3 sets) have an offset of ET 25 or ET26 and are interchangeable with my E30, just swap out the tires.  I'll take my 15" Yoko S Drives on twisty roads over 13" tires.  Now the purists hate me....

• Haha 1

My BBS 15 wheel and tire combo is LESS than my 14” combo which is LESS than my stock 14 steel wheel and tire combo.  I also get better tire compounds.  My 15” BBS wheels are 12 pounds each.  

1 hour ago, Gordon said:

I've been a 02 owner for 38 consecutive years. I started the first couple of years pf 02 ownership with 13' wheels before I upgraded to 14" wheels for nearly 25 years (E30 bottlecaps and basketweaves). Then on to 15" wheels (Alpina replica's, Rota RB and now Centra type 11)  with 195/50-15 tires. No regrets, much better tire selection in 15". All my 15" wheels (3 sets) have an offset of ET 25 or ET26 and are interchangeable with my E30, just swap out the tires.  I'll take my 15" Yoko S Drives on twisty roads over 13" tires.  Now the purists hate me....

no we don't lol.

I do hate this thread though 'cause it's the same ol song and dance.

it's an open forum and nobody here is blackballed for modifying their 02

Edited by iinca

I like all the pictured cars. They are very clean. Aesthetics aside, the ride with the lower profile tires is rougher. Sometimes, this is also a function of the tire quality and not just the dimension. But, I can feel the difference even between the 205/60 x 13, which have plenty of sidewall and the higher profile 185/70 x 13. The trend for the past 20 years has been going in the direction of lower profile tires and bigger wheels. So, some of you guys who grew up with this have become accustomed to it. And, it's gotten pretty extreme in some cases. The tire manufacturers are following the trend, and unfortunately there are less quality 185/70 X 13 and 205/60 x 13 tires now, where at one time they were very abundant. There are plenty of 185/70 x 13s, but a lot of them are just too soft and cheap. And, this is unfortunate. I live in a city where the "Pimp Your Ride" look abounds. And, some of the stuff is simply ridiculous.