Slavs

Some Mods ?

28 posts / 941 viewsLast Reply

I can’t comprehend some of the mods, like large diameter wheels and low profile tires. Sticking on 15” 55 or 50 profile heavy tires significantly increases unsprung weight inducing heavy steering and a sluggish handling car. And nobody is asking the wheel bearings how they feel. I remember when e30 bottle caps became all the rage. Those things are Heavy ! I won’t get into ride comfort. Pretty soon some people will have a solid wheel with a piece of rubber tacked around. Why did they invent pneumatic-tires To hell with comfort. We want BIG wheels, “V” rated ultra low profile tires on an 02 ?

Larger wheels allow larger brakes. 

15” wheels allow a much better selection of performance tires. 

Stock wheel size is certainly more comfortable with all that sidewall to bounce around on but thinking they handle better than a newer wider tire with a thinner sidewall is incorrect. 

• Like 2

Any answer provided won’t sway your opinion, so I will just say that it’s my car and my ass in the seat. I find the look and ride pleasing. My car makes me happy, as I am sure yours does for you. In the end I am about my own happiness, not yours or anyone else’s.

• Like 2

if bmw wanted 15" wheels on the o2 back in the day they would have used them...it is not a proper look for the o2...imho

i'm not a fan of donks

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You think mods on an '02 are an issue?  Don't visit the watch forums. You'll need to go seek counseling if this stuff bothers you. 

I may not agree with some of the mods but guess what?  It isn't my car so I just bite my tongue. 

• Like 1

(edited)

What do I know ? I spent my childhood in a village where I first recognized the benefit of pneumatic tires, not on cars, but, on horse drawn carts. I can tell you that  real tires signified as much status among the peasants as wearing a vacheron constantin does among the fashionistas. Having ballooney inflatables signified your arrival to the true "Kulak" class. And they  gave everybody relief, including the poor horses. That must explain my fixation on the ballooney 70 and 80 series. I've noticed the trend in bigger wheels and ultra low profile tires, especially here in Los Angeles, where some people are going for that "Look". The roads are awful here. They will tear apart any suspension in no time. The same people are driving around with bent wheels because their low profile tires are useless in buffering out sharp bumps and potholes.  The 70 profile tires are much better suited for rougher terrain or our light cars in general.  That's from personal experience with both horse drawn carts and 02s. I know something that many of you don't. If some of you had lived in a village where you had a choice between the pneumatic tires and solid wheels, you would surely choose the pneumatic tires. And, you would never even think of low profile tires for your 02.

Anything bigger than 13" wheels on these cars starts looking odd and out of proportion, especially the 15" stuff. But aesthetics and personal preferences aside, why in the world use a heavy wheel and tire engineered for a car in the 3,000lb - 4,000lb range when an 02 such as my early car weighs a shade over 2,000lb.

index.jpg

6102868305b212548bb768.jpg

Edited by Slavs

Slavs “ideal” 02. Could pull “big cart”. 

02DF4D70-6A86-4415-9DD7-8FC2BAAE69AA.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Don't wash your car. Drive it through town with all the mud on it so everybody will know you're a real burly man vs. girly man.

So Slavs, 

Just wondering comrade...are you retired? I am a bit amazed with how prolific you are on the FAQ. Ample free time possibly? 

I grew up on a first world farm. Our tractor had large tires on the back and low profile tires on the front. So I guess in Slavs world that I am much more flexible on my choices for my 2002,  and elevate myself to the Politburo no matter which choice I can make.  

Went with 15's and 55 tires to achieve the original total diameter of the stock wheels and tires. The 15's as stated above allow many more tire choices. 

Those balloon tires and wheels on that wagon: 

1. Would never be safe at any speed on a 2002

2. Are only good for a max of 4 horsepower

3. Really would look like crap on an 02. 

But Slavs, if you wish, you can put those on your car and sip a bit of Vodka and reminisce about the smell of hay and horse manure. 

But what do I know comrade? , this Amerikanski likes his beer (from any country), his baseball/american football/lacrosse. etc. And yes I salute the flag at every sporting event. 

Because here, we can do whatever we want to our cars, and we can give our fellow 02's a hard time.....😁 in good fun. 

Cheers! and  Выпьем за то, чтобы у нас всегда был повод для праздника – Vupjem za to, chtobu u nas vsegda bul povod dlya prazdnika (May we always have reason for a party)

(edited)

Ah ! A true "Lumpenproletariat" as Karl Marx defined all those elements of the working class  who can be bought off with sausage and wine. Got to like a man who likes his "Grog", though. A man who is also close to the earth and soil, a farmer. I lived on a farm, and I miss the smell of horses and manure. Every time I get in my 02 and smell the horse hair, it takes me back

Edited by Slavs

(edited)

That clown owns an 02 and was recently sued for auctioning off a fake 356 Carrera.

Edited by Slavs

I used to like 15s (when I was young) and now like 13s (when I'm a little bit wiser). However, I once weighed an e30 15x7 basket weave with a 195x50 tyre against a standard 13" steel wheel and 175 tyre and was surprised to find they were near as dammit identical.

old.reddit.com/r/normaldayinrussia

pyhxchnzbux21.png?width=504&auto=webp&s=6f4e20d727c99629d23a5c40a914afecacb3724d

• Like 1