Lofty

Close ratio gearbox options

7 posts / 402 viewsLast Reply

Interested in close ratio gearbox options that'll fit in the standard manual 2002 tunnel. Using search I have seen Couttsdesigns Toyota W58 behind a VW TDi though it was an automatic 2002 to start with. There's a T5 in 2.3 Ford/Volvo engined 2002 that was for sale in 2011 that LimeySteve owns (owned). Tomorrowcalling in NZ did a Ford type 4 speed

Anyone fitted a Miata 5 or 6 speed into a 2002?

Ratios are not good but has anyone used a 245CR in racing? 235CR is too weak. 

Note: i am allowed minor reshaping of the trans tunnel and cutting or enlarging a hole in the floor for gear shift mechanism.

1 hour ago, Lofty said:

Ratios are not good but has anyone used a 245CR in racing?

Yes - I've got them in 3 of the 2002's racing out of my shop. Send pm for more info. -KB

ZF 5S-18/3 exists in various ratios - and the best part it's homologated in some configurations

IMG_3197.JPG

IMG_3198.JPG

2 hours ago, Lofty said:

Ratios are not good but has anyone used a 245CR in racing?

yup.  have one in my M2 track car.  5,000 track miles on it so far with zero issues.  tranny had unknown street miles on it before i got it.

the 2-3 ratio spread sucks, but i just use a taller (4.44) diff to keep the engine in the 3/4/5 gear range.

If it were me, and I had the money - it would be a ZF S5-18/3.  They can take a beating, spares are available, different ratio's are available (you can make basically what you want), and as previously stated they were homologated for Gr2 and Gr5 cars (Schnitzer 1.4 turbo's used them).  I think a 245cr would be a good option, if you can find one, that not so easy.

The T5 takes a little more than 'minor' modification, but in the US at least, the gearbox itself is almost free to start

if you use the early turbo Thunderbird version with good ratios.

It fits to the auto trans bellhousing, and when you want really good ratios, one can be built for $1500 or so.  So the up- front

cost is a bit, but running costs are very low.  It is a bit heavy, but the weight's mostly where you want it.

They are reliable behind V8's with twice the M10's torque, and very low drag in 'World Class' versions 

cheapskate who doesn't like to build racecars around 'unobtanium' parts.

(of course, that said, I tried a Nismo trans out of a Datsun roadster.  That

actually would have worked ok, if I hadn't made so many rookie mistakes building it)

Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the delay in responding, every time I have tried to reply I have been called away.

I do have a line on the 245CR so maybe. ZF S5-18/3 sounds perfect, just have to find one. 

Someone mentioned the japanese 6 speeds in Miatas, Nissan S15 and RX8s could be an option for size.

There's a  few SR20s in 2002. Any using 6 speeds or are they 5 speeds?