• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB Exhaust Manifold

tech71

On 5/24/2019 at 10:28 PM, Jbaumshelter said:

I have a 49 state version from my 75. They crack because they get to damn hot. Best option is to replace it with something better. I'll sell it because some people do want to keep everything original. 

Just clarifying here:

All U.S. ‘75 model manifolds, at least from the factory, were thermal reactor manifolds.  And, just as you say, they were all destined to fail due to both their high temperatures and their weight. The only possible use for a thermal reactor manifold is to pass the visual inspection for a ‘76 registered in California. ?

Only U.S. ‘76 models were bifurcated into 49-state versions and California versions. 49-state versions had exhaust manifolds much like pre-thermal reactor cars — maybe they were the same, I haven’t checked the part numbers — whereas California versions continued to use the ‘75-style thermal reactor exhaust manifolds.

I suspect — but don’t know for certain...yet — that the original poster has a ‘76 49-state version and is not looking for a thermal reactor manifold.

Below are photos of my ‘76’s original “non-thermal-reactor” manifold. The car, of course, is a 49-state version. Yes, I realize the (original cast aluminum) heat shield hides much of the manifold. But that’s all I’ve got for photos! Thermal reactor manifolds used a stamped steel heat shield.

A clue that you have a ‘76 49-state version is an emissions-system schematic sticker that says “49 states version” at lower right, as shown in the last photo below.

Best regards,

Steve

58A3FEE8-613A-4FBF-B4F2-0118856497F4.jpeg

BD0782FC-B8D4-4FF9-92CA-8C9D70928CC2.jpeg

5ECEDC53-0BD4-4A79-AC8C-F76B05996C27.jpeg

7C7BDABD-AC67-4AA3-9079-BC8B28B4C5BC.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

13 hours ago, Conserv said:

All U.S. ‘75 model manifolds, at least from the factory, were thermal reactor manifolds.  And, just as you say, they were all destined to fail due to both their high temperatures and their weight. The only possible use for a thermal reactor manifold is to pass the visual inspection for a ‘76 registered in California. ?

Gee thanks, I was going to ask $500 for it! Just kidding, but you have convinced me to trash the damn thing after saving it for 2 years. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jbaumshelter said:

....Just kidding, but you have convinced me to trash the damn thing after saving it for 2 years. 

I dunno: about twice a year, a new forum member comes on the forum and says he’s/she’s a California resident with a ‘76 and is looking for full California emissions equipment so the car can pass the visual component of its biannual emissions test....

Maybe you could lease yours to these owners and generate $500 over the next ten years, with the right marketing.... ?

Sorry to burst the bubble. ?

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Conserv said:

I dunno: about twice a year, a new forum member comes on the forum and says he’s/she’s a California resident with a ‘76 and is looking for full California emissions equipment so the car can pass the visual component of its biannual emissions test....

Maybe you could lease yours to these owners and generate $500 over the next ten years, with the right marketing....

Like, this?

https://www.2002ad.com/storeworks/view_item.cfm?id=1839

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, kbmb02 said:

I love it, Ken!

But it looks like my “brilliant” plan is years late!

Best regards,

Steve