• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 gearbox into a 1600???

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

at the shop 2.JPG

URL: http://cgi6.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=al_canuck&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50

SO, after driving my new 1600 around today, I've determined that it will need a trans rebuild, or at least a good used one installed. I have no intention of a 5 speed in this car, but I have a good 4 speed in a 75 right now. What is involved in swapping it into the 1600?

Al

Guest Anonymous

the output on the tranie and the dif may be different. seem like you may have to have a customer driveshaft made?

Guest Anonymous

I do believe the trans are interchangable. You'll have to swap the three bolt output flange from the 1600 tranny to the 2002 one and of course use the 1600 mechanical linkage. But it should fit without issues.

WH

Guest Anonymous

at the shop 2.JPG

URL: http://cgi6.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=al_canuck&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50

That's what I was thinking. Swap the flange, use the 1600 linkage, and good to go. I guess I'll find out later this year, if this old box makes it that long! It seems that no amount of rev matching will help it find 2nd smoothly. Still have to 2 finger shift it, VERY SLOWLY.

Al