• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1600 is now at home, safe and sound...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

DSCF0012.JPG

URL: http://cgi6.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=al_canuck&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50

As some of you know, I left yesterday afternoon on a journey to retrieve my 67 1600 from Bingen Washington(1 hour east of Portland).

Well, after battling traffic on the way down, it took us almost 7 hours to get to Bingen from Vancouver, but we were driving a comfy E28 M5, so not too tough to deal with! We got there about 9pm I think, met Frank and Tony, checked out some cars, and then found an "interesting" bar in White Salmon Washington.

Quick pitcher of beer, and we were off to our "hotel". It's a rather rustic, quaint, (or pick some other similar word) old school that has been converted into a hostel. $16 per night, and all the plywood bunk beds you can handle! Not the Ritz, but it served it's purpose.

Bingen%20School%20Inn.JPG

BSI%202.JPG

After breakfast it was time to get to Frank's shop, and do some work on the 1600. I dragged down 2 late 02 steels with new Yokhamas on them, along with a set of "barely used" rad hoses, and a couple other small spares. We swapped off the 2 worst tires (and they were BAAAAAAAD), checked all the tire pressured, swapped the rotten rad hoses, swapped the leaky rad, cleaned the windshield, checked all the fluids, and it was off for a test drive.

I cruised down the highway a bit from Bingen, and stopped along the banks of the Columbia river for a pic.

Columbia%20river.JPG

On the way back to the shop, the car started missing badly, and bucking all over the place. I limped it back, and popped the hood. Larry, Frank and myself immediately agreed that it must be the 5 year old gas in the tank, despite the fact that I had topped it off with several gallons of new stuff. I walked to the auto parts store, and bought a couple new fuel filters. Swapped them in, cleaned the idle jets, and tried again. Now it wouldn't even start. Well, we soon discovered that the screw holding the condensore to the dizzy had fallen out! Put a new one in, and we were finally off.

The rest of the trip was pretty uneventful, which is good. I did find it weird that everytime I looked down, I seemed to be doing 62mph, no matter how fast it felt like I was going.

Stuck%20at%2062mph.JPG

First time I got off the freeway, I realised the speedo was actually stuck there! Quick tap on the glass, and it was back at 0, but once you hit 62, that's where it stays!

So, got her home tonight after a minor delay at Canada Customs, and she's now officially Canadian! Here's a couple pics I shot at the shop. Look at that interior! It's a big blank canvas, just waiting for me.

at%20the%20shop%202.JPG

Back%20seat.JPG

Front%20seat.JPG

So, what have I learned about this little car so far? It has a few minor problems.

1) Speedo stuck at 62

2) Odo doesn't work

3) Tires are JUNK

4) Trans is grinding BADLY into 2nd

5) When it rains, you WILL get wet, despite being inside the car. The window seals are just that bad!

6) It idles way too high.

7) A few other small things, but she's 98% rust free!

Thanx to Frank for selling me the car, Ryan and Jeff for working on it last weekend, Larry for driving down there with me yesterday, and being contented by driving his M5 at 62mph all day long on the way home, and Tony for meeting us at the shop, and buying the beer!

Al

PS- Ryan, 5w30 is NOT a good or appropriate choice of oil for a 37 year old M10. Perhaps that is why your own engine kills som many mosquitos? :-)

Woohoo, I already love this little car, and see a bright future for it in the Seams Perfect ranch.

Guest Anonymous

I was at woodburn for the VW show today and saw a guy that looked and sounded just like you. If ya hadnt been driving the 1600, I would have made a fool of myself.

Glad to see you got the car home safely. Now when does the new interior get put in?

Guest Anonymous

but I had 5 qt's left of the 5-30 and no home for it so I gave it your cause....It never smoked that bad when I used it though...Congrats on the uneventful trip North. I assume you got the delivery from tony for me??

Ryan

68 02

Guest Anonymous

i was on my way home from vacation in vancouver

and saw a granada crusing up north. looks good

and got my attention traveling at 75mph the other

way!

Guest Anonymous

Glad you made it back... I was a bit worried as we seemed to keep finding little things wrong right before you left. You're a wild man for driving that car 6+ hours.

Did you drive across the border with those guinness's sitting on the dash? Just wondering what customs thought. Remember to save the empties for an oil/water catch can.

I take it you had no real problems getting the car into Canada. Did they "believe' the receipt I gave you... or did you have to haggle with them?

I look forward to see more picts and the progress on the car over the next couple years. It was just languishing in my shop and I'd never get to it for at least 3-4 more years.

WH

Frank Haas

Guest Anonymous

at the shop 2.JPG

URL: http://cgi6.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=al_canuck&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50

Once we found the wonky fuel pump ground, and the condensor screw, I had a pretty good feeling about it. It was a bit lethargic for the first few miles, and all the metal bits were smelling a bit hot, but by the time we were nearing Tacoma, it seemed to loosen up, and really get in a groove. We cruised about 100-120km/h most of the way.

The Guinness were still in the trunk at customs, although I did declare them! Customs held me for a bit, as she was suspicious that an old BMW could be worth so little. She spent about 30 minutes surfing ebay, our local Buy & Sell paper, Auto Trader, and THIS SITE, looking for a value. There are a couple free ones on here yesterday, so that helped out, but she did make it clear to me that she also found some on ebay for over $4k. I explained to her that the reason I travelled so far was because of the price! I also suspect she was looking at 2002's, not 1600's. She was nice enough, and the wait was nothing. Pretty easy.

I'm lucky though, as about 10 minutes after I crossed the border, there was some minor chaos at Peace Arch. Apparently a US Customs bomb dog got a positive hit for a bomb in a south bound car. They shut the whole damn border down, both directions. I was the only civilian in the whole damn place, for miles down the road. Very strange feeling.

I'll be keeping you, and the rest of the board updated on this car's progress. I'm going to start today with a serious cleaning.

Al

Guest Anonymous

If I were in town (I'm in Maine) I would have tried to hook up with you. My parents live up on the bluff in White Salmon, WA. Hopefully you had enough time to drive Highway 14. -J

Guest Anonymous

but it looks "factory." Never seen one done that way...usualy radio is below ashtray, with speaker below that.

Mike