thehackmechanic

Dim Rear Lights Caused By Bad Ground In Trunk (like, duh)

6 posts / 370 viewsLast Reply

Hey, folks. I don't post here often these days, but that doesn't mean that I don't use it as a reference source almost daily. I just wanted to say that, on this Saturday morning when I'm readying Bertha for the 2000-mile round trip to The Vintage, and I found last night that her rear lights were dim to the point of not being functional and not being able to find the ground location in the trunk, happiness was looking up "ground locations" here on the FAQ, finding a post that said that the trunk ground location is near the driver's side tail light, searching for it, finding it right there, finding that it was, indeed, loose, tightening it, and having the problems go away.

Thanks for continuing to be the brain trust and repository of 2002 knowledge. Again and again and again.

--Rob

IMG_9239-1024.jpg

• Like 6

Rob--thanks for the reminder--need to do that for myself--my rear lamps were reported as uniformly "kinda dim" on the trek to and from Mid America...Gotta invest in some LED bulbs for tail and brake lights...

mike

Ditto on the thanks/congrats to this community for being an amazing resource.  Anyone considering the LED taillight upgrade: I highly endorse the kit from ClassicAutoLEDs.    Installation is easy (at least it was for me as I didn’t have to retrofit any wiring or relays), and they are VERY effective.  They are pretty pricey, but cost of not being seen could be higher.   Blunt has ‘em as well I think. 

1 hour ago, Pete72tii said:

Blunt has ‘em as well I think. 

The ones he sells are one and the same ClassicAutoLEDs.

Like the ClassicAuto LEDs. I have been a little hesitant purchasing the kit.  I am not mechanically inclined in the least..

I don't want to be the first fatality from a hot glue gun.....

Cheers! 

I bought some LED bulbs on Amazon.  They are very bright, and I no longer worry (as much) about getting rear-ended.  Find them here: Red & Amber

I also fabbed up a 3rd brake light from a motorcycle LED light strip.  I 3D printed a housing and stuck it to the window with 3M tape.  Here's a picture a friend took.  I didn't have the Red LED brake light bulbs at the time (these were white LED bulbs), but it shows the 3rd brake light.

612325979_3rdBrakeLight.thumb.jpg.6939ed8b1bf9f2b4e87255ad90b02b28.jpg

• Like 2