• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dang it.... clutch cylinder problems?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Alright, so since October, I've replaced the slave cylinder twice and the master once, but just yesterday, my car's clutch just completely gave out because the fluid was low, so I grabbed some new dot 4 and poured it in. When I went to pump it for pressure; all the fluid just leaked out in squirts... I think that the cylinders broke again.

Is there some underlying cause of this that I should have my mechanic look into? This is a new mechanic as I'm a bit wearing of having a recurring issue... The clutch disk is brand new; new cylinders.

Side notes: she grinds easily shifting from first to second and sometimes from second to third. She also has a rough start in the begining of the day (usually takes three or four turnovers to get her to start and stay running). She gets very hissy fitty if she isn't fully warmed up (she sputters a bit if I try speeding up too fast or at all). All the ignition wires were replaced, points, spark plugs, so I don't think it has anything to do with that... Any ideas?

Guest Anonymous

sure it's going to gring all the gears with a leaking circuit .

And your carburetor wears combat boots also. Sounds like the wrong 'mechanic'. Sorry your car sounds like it's land fill. Seek out a new technician fast.

Guest Anonymous

This may sound obvious, but is the bleed valve closed securely? How's the condition of the hose between master and slave?

Guest Anonymous

Clutch hydraulics should not be that difficult of a repair. You've got to be frustrated.

If you can see the leak it should be something the mechanic can fix. It's much more difficult when you can't see the leak :). My experience is limited, but I can think of the following possibilities:

1. The slave wasn't actually replaced, or was replaced with a broken part (used/defective new).

2. The bleeder valve was left open, or has worked its way open after not being sufficiently tightened

3. Das hose ist kaput.

4. The hose is not seated in either the clutch master or slave properly or tightened sufficiently, or the ends have developed leaks.

Guest Anonymous

seems to be an achiles heel. I've probibly replaced mine 5 or 6 times over the life of the car. CURE: flush brake fluid anually, and especially flush the slave. wATER SEEMS TO GATHER THERE FIRST AND FOREMOST.

Guest Anonymous

I'll mention to the new mechanic to take a look at the hose and make sure that the bleed valve is closed tight -- She worked fine for a little more than a month, so it would be surpprising if she managed to last that long with a loose valve (considering the way that I drive her some times -- it would be loose in no time).