Pierce Rabbitt

Does the e60 M5 V10 fit in the 2002?

10 posts / 539 viewsLast Reply

That is hideous and presumably they're waiting on someone rich enough before actually building one. And 1 ton? Yeah right, no way that's going to happen.

• Like 1

(edited)

Yah... Nice 3D renderings.

I want to see an actual car.

But yah, it fits. I do believe someone here in Europe has stuffed one in already. 

This article did make it onto TopGear too... so maybe not complete vaporware? 

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/modified/mad-bmw-2002-has-792bhp-v10-and-weighs-less-tonne

It also does have some real names behind the project, too. 

Edited by 2002Scoob

(edited)

Sounds like two quarts of motor in a one quart car (or rather 5 liters of motor in a two liter car).  A bit of overkill, like the guy back in the late 60s that put a 572 ci, Cadillac fwd Eldorado engine in an...wait for it...original Mini.  Why?  I guess because he could!

mike

Edited by mike
  • Like 1

whut?

why?

t

(edited)

OK, I collect BMWs and the BMW V10 S85 and the M3 V8 version S65 are among the worst engines BMW ever built.  They are built to such close tolerances that the oil carriers for the crankshaft bearings clog up and the bearings overheat and fail DESTROYING THE ENGINE!  This is why the E60 M5 is generally so cheap compared to others.  Replacing the bearings is about a $3k job but it does not guarantee that they won't fail in the future.  Unlike, say the IMS bearing in a 996 Porsche, the problem with the S85 and S65 can't easily be fixed.  There is a whole group dedicated to the topic on Facebook if you are interested.   

A far more reasonable project would be to take one of the new turbo 4 cylinders from an X3. (N20 or B48)  Those engines generate about 250HP stock THEY ARE RELALY LIGHT AND THEY FIT!   I have building one of these on my wishlist right after I finish an S62 powered E39 touring.  (I have an E39 M5, the motor powering that orange thing above.  In an E39, it is the bomb!  In a 2002?  probably pretty heavy.

Edited by Hodgepodge