53 posts / 1496 viewsLast Reply

@AustrianVespaGuy I've got a Weekender interior w the 2 rear facing jump seats behind the fronts, not a camper w the kitchen. While I've never put child seats in it, my kids are older, I think this layout is infinitely more practical for everyday family hauling and chores. I've hauled an m42 engine in that thing! That, and and a Subaru engine swap makes the van viable as a daily driver.

And yes, the prices are insane. We've - read my wife! - rationalized the price by taking vacation camping trips instead of paying for plane tickets, fancy hotels and car rentals. It's a long-term family investment. 

IMG_20190508_080008.thumb.jpg.a78a8d9a26d85037346eb018113cb20c.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Raised two kids with the Odyssey, it was great. Probably the best attribute for us was parking in tight spots with auto sliding doors, and getting to those baby seats and changing diapers. Great for road trips with entertainment systems. Amazing amount of space with seats completely removed, much more hauling capacity than my longbed Tacoma. Downside we bought the nicest model with leather and bells and whistles. Our interior took a beating (buy the full rubber floor mats) with spilled drinks, mummified french fries under the seats, and peculiar stains on headliner?  Just don't have any illusions your van will be kept as clean and pristine as the day you bought it, but resale value held strong.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

(edited)

Teelinger is that a SYNCRO? If so I vote for that (with a Subaru WRX motor and gearbox) 

OR just get a recent Honda Odyssey...My buddies Honda does it's job and keeps doing it's 

job now at 250k

happyanim (1).gifSYNCRO' FTW!...

Edited by iinca

Not sure where you are located, but we have a 2008 odyssey EX-L with Nav and DVD with 96k on it for sale. Picked it up new and the damn thing won’t give me a reason to sell it. I’ve hauled more 02 parts in that thing including full interior and body panels. Actually drives great . Especially for its size. My only problem is that it’s easy to warp the rotors. Maybe it’s my driving style, but one trip over the Sierra’s and they start to vibrate. 

Just picked up a a semi new GTI for the wife so, either the Van or the 2001 Volvo V 70 T5 Manual has to go.... such a hard decision. Maybe it’s time to drive the 02 more...

Another vote for the Odyssey. Had a Windstar bought new in 96, when the son went deer hunting with it replaced it with a 2001 Odyssey. All the bells and whistles, healthy V6, power doors, entertainment center, leather. Minivans cannot be beat for utility and the Honda is the one to get. Might cost more than some of the other available product but I think there is a reason used Honda prices are so strong. Would still have the Honda but the Boss decided we were no longer "Minivan People" !! So now we're looking for something with a higher ride height (than the E39 touring), good interior volume and somewhat up to date tech wise. But not a Minivan !!    

1 hour ago, AustrianVespaGuy said:

$30,000 vehicle now, right?

I've seen ones like mine listed for 55k+. I think it's appreciated better than my 401k.

• Like 1

I'd trade both of my tiis for a nicely sorted SYNCRO...  

6 hours ago, Teelinger said:

@iinca yep, syncro with a subie 2.5 😁

one of those is on my bucket list.

the dream is a Syncro with an STi motor with an STi 6 speed...solar panels...surf racks....Westfalia.......

Probably at least a $50k dream

(edited)

Hey, maybe I could get 50K for my orange car on BAT?  I should start a thread here with detailed pics of the car and let everyone tear it to pieces ....Hmmm  NOT 😋  She ain't bad though.  Good old orange

GoodOldOrange.JPG

Edited by JohnS
  • Like 1

OK, couple of thoughts for those who are still following.  I've had 7 different 5 series tourings.  They are awesome cars and hold a ton.  The ultimate Dad driving machine.  Can't tell you how many tickets I've gotten out of in a touring, especially with a child seat in the back.  

But tourings are not mom-mobiles.  My wife went from E28 535 to Ford Explorer (because she wasn't yet ready to drive a mini-van) to Chrysler Town and Country Limited (now Pacifica) to a GMC Yukon XL, to a BMW touring, to a Highlander Hybrid and finally to an E70 X5.  Of all of those cars, the Chrysler was by far the most comfortable and spacious road trip machine that we have owned. The Yukon XL was an amazing hauler, but it was not as overall useful as the Chrysler and it was a bitch for her to park.  We drove and borrowed many other mini-vans but the chrysler limited and it had the most comfortable seats that compare to BMW comfort seats...only plushier.   

Sure, so the mini-van wins.  No, the Chrysler mini-van wins...even over an Odyssy and several other mini-vans.  Be sure to drive one with everybody loaded in.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1