• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Summer-Izing for Hot SoCal with A/C - Pic Heavy

chargin

Great write up, love all the pictures. Just for clarification my Bracket does not require the lug the you show to be drilled out. I have seen people that do not have the top two attach points use that lug as a third position to secure the bracket.

57614929_2245938558787863_8852406369945387008_n.thumb.jpg.7444b4d9aa4c483e15dcc0fb743240d3.jpg

Just FYI.

This is the Clardy/ hobiedave bracket installed on my 72 -M10

image.thumb.png.c434a1cfba02d14dab61710d1fecc91c.png

• Like 1

1972-2002 "polaris"

2000 M5 "Dieter"

2004 330i "ILKA"

8 minutes ago, 02hobiedave said:

Just for clarification my Bracket does not require the lug the you show to be drilled out. I have seen people that do not have the top two attach points use that lug as a third position to secure the bracket.

Ironically I sold your bracket when I bought the ICEAC kit because it takes a different Sanden mount, obviously I should have fit it before I sold yours ?

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

Update: I added this Fuse Buss up front to get rid of all of my inline accessory fuses to clean up the harness area which includes the 2 new A/C 30 amp fuses 

IMG_3407.thumb.JPG.ca7272d9e78c9fad76679fa0cf0e6a74.JPG

5 hours ago, 02hobiedave said:

Great write up, love all the pictures. Just for clarification my Bracket does not require the lug the you show to be drilled out. I have seen people that do not have the top two attach points use that lug as a third position to secure the bracket.

57614929_2245938558787863_8852406369945387008_n.thumb.jpg.7444b4d9aa4c483e15dcc0fb743240d3.jpg

Just FYI.

This is the Clardy/ hobiedave bracket installed on my 72 -M10

image.thumb.png.c434a1cfba02d14dab61710d1fecc91c.png

Can I clarify something about the bracket install?

The left hand bolt that goes through the engine mount has a washer installed underneath to space the bracket out?

So, in layers from the bottom, we have: block, engine mount bracket, washer, AC bracket, washer and bolt head?

I am going to try and install this over the weekend, so the timing is excellent here!

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

4 hours ago, chargin said:

Update: I added this Fuse Buss up front to get rid of all of my inline accessory fuses to clean up the harness area which includes the 2 new A/C 30 amp fuses 

IMG_3407.thumb.JPG.ca7272d9e78c9fad76679fa0cf0e6a74.JPG

What are your two fuses for?

Evaporator fan and condenser cooling fan?

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

5 hours ago, 02hobiedave said:

I have seen people that do not have the top two attach points use that lug as a third position to secure the bracket.

Dave, your product is an excellent build quality, in the future maybe you should add that additional hole on the bracket?

Seems like it would be easy enough for those that are missing the 2 top threaded holes 

1 hour ago, Simeon said:

What are your two fuses for?

Evaporator fan and condenser cooling fan?

1. Radiator Fan and Compressor Relay

2. Evaporator Fan Relay

1 hour ago, chargin said:

1. Radiator Fan and Compressor Relay

2. Evaporator Fan Relay

Interesting. You use a separate relay to drive the compressor clutch?

Most other arrangements sees the clutch switched by either the evap fan switch or cycled by the temperature switch directly. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Just now, Simeon said:

Interesting. You use a separate relay to drive the compressor clutch?

Radiator fan & Compressor - Engine bay parts

Evaporator Fan  - Interior Parts  

On 5/28/2019 at 1:02 PM, chargin said:

Update: I added a switch to turn off the compressor, this way in stopped traffic I can run the additional electric pusher fan for cooling without engine load. Worked great in 83' traffic.

I did that the other way. I added a manual override to power the condenser fan. 

I should look at finding a stronger blower motor for the Frigiking, though through the recent 100 degree days here, driving the car has been pretty tolerable. Still looking at ceramic window tint to  block heat. Maybe https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CT59N9K  but I haven't pulled the trigger...

Nicely done!

Cheers,

• Like 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

14 hours ago, Simeon said:

Can I clarify something about the bracket install?

The left hand bolt that goes through the engine mount has a washer installed underneath to space the bracket out?

So, in layers from the bottom, we have: block, engine mount bracket, washer, AC bracket, washer and bolt head?

I am going to try and install this over the weekend, so the timing is excellent here!

Simeon,

I installed mine with the Moutor mount first then the A/C bracket then washer and bolt on top of that on the left side. The bolt on the right needs a washer placed behind it the thickness of your motor mount ear to keep the bracket level at the bottom.  Hope that helps.

Dave

Edited by 02hobiedave
  • Like 1

1972-2002 "polaris"

2000 M5 "Dieter"

2004 330i "ILKA"

14 hours ago, chargin said:

Dave, your product is an excellent build quality, in the future maybe you should add that additional hole on the bracket?

Seems like it would be easy enough for those that are missing the 2 top threaded holes 

Chargin

The hole is already in the bracket but it is in such a place its hard to mount a bolt in that location unless you modify the bracket. Its the half moon shaped cutout at the 90 degree next to the weld. Dave

P4050624.thumb.JPG.2f6ea6aa07c9e3b3142a5cc3ea25429e.JPG

1972-2002 "polaris"

2000 M5 "Dieter"

2004 330i "ILKA"

1 hour ago, 02hobiedave said:

Chargin

The hole is already in the bracket but it is in such a place its hard to mount a bolt in that location unless you modify the bracket. Its the half moon shaped cutout at the 90 degree next to the weld. Dave

Wow! A++ on your fabrication!

• 7 months later...

Do you recall where the position of the evaporator housing hole for the temp probe?

I've already mounted my evaporator and can't find it. 

The glove box was being blocked by the new console plastic so I added this 2-1/2" aluminum bracket to pull it in 3/16"

57611737_2244080178973701_975524949961736192_n.thumb.jpg.44686870c3f1a2f9f3fde548f548c476.jpg

With the cabin done I drilled and pulled the harness, plugged it all in and ran the A/C Blower fan without issue.

It blows VERY hard, like a modern car.

'98 M3

'74 2002 Touring

'01 750Il

'96 B3 3.2 Touring