• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unpopular 2002 opinions: Round 1

1. 76’s should be donor cars for body and motor parts

2. A 240 5 speed will blow up with less hp in a 2002

3. Factory Stock is best

4. Deleted beltline trim

5. Let others decide what you want to do to YOUR car ?

Get it out of the Garage and just Drive it ??

ADCE1CAD-391B-418C-BBD7-A4CDE5CC4A36.thumb.jpeg.d801f9caec458a5f1b378fba48c7bc88.jpeg

Edited by chargin

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

The best 02’s are in the stance thread.

The best tyres in the stance thread are the ones that just make all the way to the rim edge!

CN36’s are for old bastards who can’t drive a proper 02 (lowered to shave the weeds)

Bump steer is a feature

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jrhone said:

2. Bilstein Sports are too stiff

Not sure this qualifies for this thread, as that's just a fact, not really an opinion ;)

4 hours ago, Vicleonardo1 said:

5 speed and 3.9 LSD. Meh. A little more fun, but the $$$/joy ratio is steadily climbing.

Two of my favorite upgrades on my car, but I certainly admit I'd think twice about doing them today! The prices, especially on LSDs, have really gotten out of hand!

This brings me to my against-the-grain opinions:

1.) I think the main one is I hate to see 2002 values (including my own car) climb.  I don't want my car to get more valuable, I want 2002s to be a dime a dozen forever! (Wishful thinking, I know!)

2.) A/C just doesn't belong in a 2002.  It wasn't meant to have it, it doesn't fit well, and is best left off.

3.) BMW 2002 > Porsche 911.  I'll back this up as I've lived with both in relatively the same conditions at the same time.  The 2002 got used more, and yielded an overall significantly higher ratio of smiles-to-curses than the 911! (And that's with $ not withstanding!)

Edited by AustrianVespaGuy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Now it's my turn...  

Inka, Colorado and Golf are just too bright--and Maize Gelb ain't much better.  

Nice stealthy colors like Nevada, Sahara, Agave and Malaga are much more acceptable...

mike

Mike, I thought we were friends... 

But... my dad looked at blue, red and Colorado 2002s. The blue and red didn't work out, so he got the Orange Car. And as much as I love the distinctive and very '70s color, I've always thought dark blue '02s look even better.

I mostly agree with iinca that I preferred the regular Boges, stock springs and bigger sway bars to the Bilstein HDs and H&R springs I have now.

And I - shhh, don't tell anyone - I actually think square tails look nicer than Roundies. Forgive me, father...

-Dave

Posted from my phone.

• Haha 1

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

1.ive always preferred the unpopular colors ie; Sahara

had the look of Utilitarian as I saw

the early o2’s

2. Ive always preferred the Single Carb/ with built engine, high compression, cam and all the other goodies over the Tii

im a road tripper and the idea of having a spare fuel delivery system I can fit in my tool box is attractive.

3. I believe the cars look best in their stock form and wish everyone would attempt to restore rather than modify. That being said , I’m for every mod you can’t see or at least period correct mods. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, West Palm 2002 said:

2. Ive always preferred the Single Carb/ with built engine, high compression, cam and all the other goodies over the Tii

Yikes, this is a dangerous one, but I too am in this camp.  Kugelfischers are pinnacle when it comes to slick mechanical devices (and WAY better than CIS!), but personally I don't want to deal with 'em, and prefer the simplicity and robustness of a carburetor, or EFI cause it's, well, better AND cheaper! Now where'd I hang up my Nomex racing suit. . . :D

2 hours ago, camperman said:

Oh yes finally a chance to blow off a huge amount of steam!

1) All those people who insist the post 74 impact bumpers look acceptable and have tangible benefits... I'm sorry but they look f'ing terrible in all circumstances, no exceptions.

2) All those people who on every engine build thread say "a stock M10 is plenty good enough" or "a 36/38 is all you need"... no, no it is not.

3) All those people who think turbo arches on roundies look good... no, no they don't.

4) air dams.... god awful and totally pointless.

5) all those people who think a 4.11 diff is a good ratio to use... 

6) non-factory colours... Yes it looks shit too!

7) "here's my great aftermarket sunroof".... yeah sure it is mate let's just strike 3k off the asking price shall we.

8.) "this turbo spoiler look great on my car"... no it doesn't it looks hideous.

9) "I can live with my roundie rear end and late nose panel"... I need an angle grinder ASAP! This freak car must be destroyed (or repaired correctly)!

10) "If I stick alpina badges all over it does it make it worth more?"... quite the opposite...

11) "Do you like my white gauge faces and blinged up interior"... It looks f'ing terrible, your car is dying inside.

12) "how about my leather covered dash"... oh god no, kill me now!

12) "I have a NK steering wheel in my car with a horn ring isn't it fancy and more classic"... It looks totally ridiculous, you have literally no taste. I feel sorry for your car and it's new barge like handling. You clearly know nothing about how 02s are to be driven.

13) "autos are just as good" said no proper bmw driver, ever.

100% agree!

• Thanks 1