Whaledriver

New oil pressure gauge install issue

22 posts / 586 viewsLast Reply

Ok, so looks like VDO makes gauges with different movement types, so we have a bit more work to do, sorry. So G disconnected (open circuit/infinite resistance) needle sweeps right, correct?  Next thing then is to try grounding the G wire, or perhaps to be on the safe side run it through about 10 ohms to ground, and this should instead zero it/needle all the way to the left.  If so, then also try ~50 ohms resistance and ~100 ohms resistance to verify that the gauge is basically working.

If all that checks out, leave the sender disconnected and measure it's resistance with both the engine off and engine running.  I expect it should be near-zero with the engine off, but somewhere around 100 ohms with the engine running. 

A picture of your gauge and the back side of the connections would help out greatly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, AustrianVespaGuy said:

Ok, so looks like VDO makes gauges with different movement types, so we have a bit more work to do, sorry. So G disconnected (open circuit/infinite resistance) needle sweeps right, correct?  Next thing then is to try grounding the G wire, or perhaps to be on the safe side run it through about 10 ohms to ground, and this should instead zero it/needle all the way to the left.  If so, then also try ~50 ohms resistance and ~100 ohms resistance to verify that the gauge is basically working.

If all that checks out, leave the sender disconnected and measure it's resistance with both the engine off and engine running.  I expect it should be near-zero with the engine off, but somewhere around 100 ohms with the engine running.  

I am not clear on how you want me use the ohm meter attachments to measure the resistance of the sender. I'm leaving for a week and will make your directed procedure when I return. Thanks,

15 hours ago, Schnellvintage said:

Its not the gauge... check the wiring again.  3 wires...(+) ign on....(-) chassis ground and same as engine. …(sender wire from ...oil pressure sender)  

Does your sender have 2 connections? light and gauge?

It has two connections,  labeled "G" and "WK".

WK is the light terminal. G goes the S on the gauge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Whaledriver said:

I am not clear on how you want me use the ohm meter attachments to measure the resistance of the sender. I'm leaving for a week and will make your directed procedure when I return. Thanks,

No problem, whenever you have time, just measure the resistance from the 'G' terminal to ground with the engine off.  The sender unit just has variable resistance depending on how much oil pressure is behind it.  With no pressure, the resistance I think should be pretty low, but also probably not zero.  I'm expecting a few ohms.  With the engine idling and 20-30psi of oil pressure there, if the unit is working properly I would expect the resistance to go up, maybe several tens of ohms or so.  Just trying to decide if both your gauge and the sender are functioning properly.

The pod light should splice/wire to the Grey/Blue wire at the headlight switch