• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shift linkage extreme sloppiness

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

71colorado01.jpg

Hello all;

The shift linkage in my 71 2002 is very very sloppy. It isn't just the shifter, but the whole shift linkage assembly. I downloaded the catalog from Wallothnesch (Thanks paul baranowski and others who may have posted this tip) and now I see how it goes together. It shown in pic 21/15 in the area of parts 1, 10, and 11 in the diagram. Part #10 appears to be an allen-bolt?

Can I tighten this up without having to disconnect the driveshaft and drop the tranny?

Worse case, I will drop the tranny and rebuild the linkage and do a clutch job while I am at it but would rather not at this point...

Thanks in advance,

Keith

Guest Anonymous

rocker_pass_05.jpg

URL: http://www.2002tii-restoration.org/

But it is kinda awkward. I did it with an allen socket and creative use of some extensions. I always had trouble with that darn bolt working its way loose again.

Let me know when you're interested in picking up the tranny.

Martin

Guest Anonymous

If I had to do it again, I'd drop the driveshaft.

You'll need an 8mm hex socket, a swivel, and a fairly long extension to get it done in place.