• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Learning from someones misfortune. . track day in Portland

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

The rumor is the driver was shifting quick to 4th and was not smooth about it. Stabbed the gas instead of squeezing it and the back end broke loose. This caused the car to swerve right into the wall and careen off across the track and grass to the armco. I got my M3 squirrely twice at about the same time. That is a bad spot on that track in the wet. More than one has bitten that wall, especially Porsches.

Guest Anonymous

The back straight is a long sweeper to the right. If the back end breaks loose from loss of traction, the right front of the car goes to the right.Think about driving in a clockwise circle and breaking the rear tires loose with a sudden stab of the gas pedal. Which way is your BMW going to go?

Guest Anonymous

I'm confused. I would have thought the rear end would lead and you would spin clockwise. The front leads and the spin is CCW.

I'm confused.

John N

Guest Anonymous

spun the opposite way counter-clockwise hitting the armco with the back of the car. 2 different contact points. It happened fast

Guest Anonymous

...with LSD and less-than-highly-skilled driver. Too much throttle on the ragged upshift causes a bit of rear wheel traction loss - momentary panic - then lifting the throttle too much/too quickly.

It will snap you around in a heartbeat.

That's a bad day in anyone's classroom.

Ouch!

Delia

Guest Anonymous

He loved driving BMW's especially the 2002 because you pointed the car with the steering wheel but you steered it with the gas pedal, so if you let off the gas in a corner the wrong end is going to drive the car.

Guest Anonymous

lisa_screened.jpg

URL: http://www.livejournal.com/users/jennaishealed/

that car REALLY liked being towed around by the front end... the rear end was so light, and the suspension so stiff... i was about 17 when i lifted in a high-speed transition between two freeways, slid the car sideways about 50 feet before coming to a rest with the engine stalled and almost no room to maneuver, not to mention that I came to a rest just around a blind turn marked at 50mph. Anyways, she started right up (had a classic hot start problem, but not that time) and i tore out of there right before a cutlass supreme came around the blind turn. All it took was once... i learned my lesson. now i just DONT lift, except just to kick the rearend out, but then i stab her again and steer with the right foot. the only way to fly!

-Rob