Albee

Look what followed me home...

17 posts / 875 viewsLast Reply

This weekend I brought home a rust free 73 tii that has not seen daylight in many years. This is my first BMW but not my first restoration and I am looking forward to many months of reading and learning. I am currently working on something else so I am giving this car to my just turned 16 year old son for his first project. His goal is to have it on the road by the time school starts in September, which I think is realistic. I’m sure he will start a build thread once things start moving along so he can seek the wisdom of this group.

Al

920D4144-0267-480E-A090-2539856551C9.jpeg

BB0F03C4-8B5E-4CEE-8215-F2818A2EC9E5.jpeg

35E770DB-4193-42C7-B2BE-1E5A9218B732.jpeg

• Like 7

(edited)

Nice find! Sounds like a project. Btw my dad brought home a ‘74 VW thing for my 16th. Fond memories😃

Edited by walkinfool
Typo
  • Like 1

You have one of the last 75 or so roundie tii's built, as the last one is 2784521.  Looks nice and clean, and one of my favorite colors too.  Great find!

mike

That’s kind of cool that it was one of the last  of the year. My goal would be for my son to pay for most the restoration by parting out this other 73 that came as part of a package deal, it has a sunroof so the floor pans are rusted but is otherwise complete.  For now we think it would be best to return the car to stock condition and color, but I’m wondering if their are any common sense upgrades that we should consider during the build.

338A1BB9-7112-48E7-9AD2-4E0978B2F6D5.jpeg

(edited)

You'll hear it here many times but a stock Tii is a great car. That said:

- A 5 speed is a nice addition.

- If you are on the stock radiator, adding a row can help if you are running hot.

- AFM meter to tune is super helpful.

- 123 Dizzy could be considered if the stock Tii dizzy is in need of a rebuild.

- Drivers side motor mount will most likely need a weld and reinforcement plate. You can get to it if doing any front subframe refreshing.

More pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice acquisition!!!

Edited by Adamha
  • Like 1

Side of the garage???? 😳😳

Get the daily drivers out of the warm dry space and put your new baby under shelter!!

• Like 1

(edited)

Welcome!

At no cost, BMW Group Archives will confirm the precise manufacturing date, factory color (presumably Agave), sub-model (tii), market (U.S. or Euro), and original importer (presumably Hoffman Motors of NYC). I’d predict a 2764453 was manufactured in early July 1973.

Send an email with your VIN(‘s) to [email protected] .

Great find. Despite a rusted out floor, that parts car may be restorable, and even desirable....

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

That’s the parts car next to the barn, the tii is in the shop nice and warm and dry. I have the tools and skills to weld new floor pans in the parts car but I figured I would spend 150 hours and $1500 getting the car road worthy. Then I would have a car worth $5000 or I could try to get a few thousand in parts. I do recognize the general desire to save all the old cars possible but...  

(edited)
18 hours ago, Albee said:

That’s kind of cool that it was one of the last  of the year. My goal would be for my son to pay for most the restoration by parting out this other 73 that came as part of a package deal, it has a sunroof so the floor pans are rusted but is otherwise complete.  For now we think it would be best to return the car to stock condition and color, but I’m wondering if their are any common sense upgrades that we should consider during the build.

Interesting - I just noticed my base model '73 has a 2002 logo where your BMW roundel is. (MY BAD - just looked, it has both the logo and the roundel.)

It would be a shame to part this out, but if you go down that route keep me in mind. Where are you located?

Edited by man_mark_7

(edited)
3 minutes ago, man_mark_7 said:

It would be a shame to part this out, but if you go down that route keep me in mind. Where are you located?

Now I somehow made a redundant post and can't seem to delete it.....

Edited by man_mark_7

Highly recommend you bookmark this page from someone who has been there, done that. Trust me, you'll refer to this site often.  http://www.my2002tii.com/    Also recommend you start a blog on your restoration efforts on the FAQ blog page so we can can up with your restoration efforts and offer helpful advice along the way.  Welcome to the insane asylum!  

G-Man

• Like 1

Thanks Gordon that’s a great site and we will start a blog after we get things sorted and inventoried this weekend. It has never occurred to me that I would need to share my shop space with anyone before, but we are going to clear some shelf space for his parts.

Adama- I will take a close look at that engine mount.

Thanks for the welcome, I’m really looking forward to this project because I’ve always thought their was something distinctively cool about these cars.

Al

B25B10D6-C3CD-4B90-815E-307BF730E9DE.jpeg

• Like 1