• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best repair / maintenance parts & tools you've found?

+1 on the picquic driver I got on from my dad 20 or so years ago it's my entire inside tool for my r/v for those of you that haven't had a r/v their rolling fix it projects rolling down the road, just magazine the things that would shake loose if you towed your house down the road at 60mph and thats a r/v.  

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

ADAC Premium road-side assistance card. 

Free tow to almost anywhere, anytime, not just the nearest shop that their cousin probably runs.  And they have road-side mechanics for when you don't have the right tools They try to get you running first, tow second. 

Saved me when I exploded my diff. Saved me when my factory solex was flooding my engine. Will likely save me the next 10 times I break something in the very near future. haha.

10 hours ago, stephers said:

The best tool that you could have is a good repair manual that explains things clearly 

That takes all the challenge out of it!

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

For me, a two post lift was a great investment for sure.  I had to do a clutch on my MINI.  For what the dealer wanted for the job, I bought the parts and the lift, did it myself, and broke even.

The Harbor Freight ball joint tool is awesome for the price, like Carl @AustrianVespaGuymentioned.  Air tools come in handy pretty often.  A ton of extensions, wobbles and U-joints are key for an E36 clutch.  A Harbor Freight mechanic's cart stocked with tools for the current job cut down on steps back and forth to the tool box.

The best so far.. this forum.

Tim Dennison

'72 BMW 2002 tii - Malaga,  '02 BMW Z3 Coupe Sterling Gray,  '09 BMW 650i - Carbon Black,  '15 BMW 228i Estoril Blue,  '19 BMW Z4 30 - San Francisco Red

On 5/3/2019 at 8:22 AM, BarrettN said:

Any brand of self fusing tape better than others - or any to avoid?

I have used the 'as seen on TV' brand- as a joke the first time-

and am no longer laughing.  It really DID seal up a pinhole

in the upper radiator hose.

Amusingly, the stuff's been around for decades, but someone

got clever and either modified the plastic or put

a limiting strap in it so it no longer stretches forever.  When it hits

its elastic limit, all of a sudden it's very strong indeed.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

8 minutes ago, TobyB said:

I have used the 'as seen on TV' brand- as a joke the first time-

and am no longer laughing.  It really DID seal up a pinhole

in the upper radiator hose.

Amusingly, the stuff's been around for decades, but someone

got clever and either modified the plastic or put

a limiting strap in it so it no longer stretches forever.  When it hits

its elastic limit, all of a sudden it's very strong indeed.

t

Same.

A friend of my dad's had a roll of it in his trunk and asked me if I would help fix his lower radiator hose. I rolled my eyes and took a crack at it. It actually worked, and he made the three hour drive home.

I don't think he was running a 16-18lb cap like a modern car so I'm not sure how well it would work on newer stuff.

I wouldn't rely on the "fix" long term, but it will get you where you're going or at least out harm's way.

On 5/1/2019 at 8:20 AM, man_mark_7 said:

How much searching did you do before buying? Can you recommend a brand/model?

It’s been so long (10 years ago) that i’d have to do the research all over.

72 2002tii

1988 535is  “Maeve”

On 5/3/2019 at 5:13 PM, NYTransplant said:

A Harbor Freight mechanic's cart stocked with tools for the current job cut down on steps back and forth to the tool box.

Ditto this. I only wish the one I have had a brake. We moved to a place with a sloped driveway and its hard to keep it from driving off while I'm busy with my nose in the engine bay. 

Edited by g_force
  • Like 1

Josh (in Dallas)

'72 tii

I bought the 30" cart and came with two locking swivel casters to keep the cart from rolling, and two fixed casters.  I also added the side table.  A common mod is to buy another set of swivel casters to make it much more maneuverable.  They bolt right on.  I also bolted a magnetic tool holder to the underside of the lid.  When it's open a have a place to stick the tools I'm using frequently.

I'd say the only complaint I have are the drawer slides.  You have to push them closed pretty hard to get the drawers to latch.  That ends up shuffling the tools around in the drawer.  Makes it hard to maintain a nice neat drawer full of extensions ?

Tim Dennison

'72 BMW 2002 tii - Malaga,  '02 BMW Z3 Coupe Sterling Gray,  '09 BMW 650i - Carbon Black,  '15 BMW 228i Estoril Blue,  '19 BMW Z4 30 - San Francisco Red