Carson

Oil dripping from bottom of distributor

10 posts / 314 viewsLast Reply

Do you have any suggestions. It’s the correct distributor for the 76’

4407F009-F11F-4D1F-ACEA-D15EA8200FCE.jpeg

Check the furthest left (drivers side) 6mm bolt (10mm hex head) bolt on the distributor housing and look for the special sealing washer is installed. It looks like a much thicker washer under the head of the that bolt.. if it’s missing and/or very old, it will leak oil profusely. Like in your picture.. that seal keeps high pressure oil from leaking..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found a pic.. also check your oil pressure sending unit just next to the distributor. Make sure it has a new sealing crush washer.f6e002172db10a2f630115e86e4700bb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

There are a number if potential sources back there. 

1) The distributor housing gasket between that and the head. 

2) The special washer on the housing with a built in oil seal (replace with the gasket in 1). 

3) the o ring around the distributor body 

4) the oil pressure switch (from the threaded hole or through the switch itself)

5) from under the rearmost cylinder head bolt on the exhaust side of the head. Oil can travel up the bolt and ease out from underneath the hardened washer. 

One last comment. 

Note that the above points could be symptoms of an underlying issue (if they are supposed to be in ok shape).  Namely, higher-than-normal cylinder head pressure which pushes oil out of those mentioned areas.  On a street car this can happen when your breather vent gets plugged.  Easy inspection (disconnect/inspect tube for messy junk build up.  Pop off the valve cover and blow air into the vent to make sure the riveted plate on the underside of the valve cover isn't filled with messy junk build up), easy fix.

Search on old topic with subject “Distributor Flang Leak”. Yes, Flange dropped the “e”

I have similar issue and this might help too

I had a similar issue that drove me crazy for quite a while until I noticed my distributor o-ring had a small nick in the side. Amazing how such a small defect could result in so much leak.  When you reinstall the disty, make sure to lube the new o-ring with a fingerful of oil to prevent tearing.  

• Like 1

One more for the list - a cracked housing.  There is often a hairline crack caused by the pinch bolt.  This can get worse over time.  From the amount of oil you have there, my vote is on the flange gasket.

Thanks for the ideas. I’m going to go through the advice and see what it is. Thanks

Use feeler gauges to check the amount of play between the distributor gear and the body while you have it out.