Scottjeffrey

Rear wheel bearing shims

15 posts / 372 viewsLast Reply

Hello, I am getting ready to refurbish the rear suspension and brakes. Regarding the wheel bearings, have read a bunch of articles here. As I have learnt that there are different size shims, as well as some people opening it up and finding a shim missing, how do I order them in advance? Which size should I buy? Thank you for your help.

Best Regards,

Scott

Ideally you put the same shim/spacer back in the same side.

• Thanks 1

There is no way of knowing the "correct" shim thickness unless you measure the one you take out or start from scratch by measuring and calculating what you need.  You can always buy 2 of every size so you will have what you need when you pull it apart. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Preyupy said:

There is no way of knowing the "correct" shim thickness unless you measure the one you take out or start from scratch by measuring and calculating what you need.  You can always buy 2 of every size so you will have what you need when you pull it apart. 

^ that.

Or, this:

EA001B89-01FA-4130-84B0-19A86E706971.thumb.jpeg.0651e825edbda391ff062ebb97a7418e.jpeg

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Preyupy said:

^ 2 of everything is cheaper than a surface grinder  🙂

That's what I was thinking!

They are not all available now. I forget which ones but there was at least two sizes NLA when I looked at this. 

• Thanks 1

do the measurements outlined in the overhaul manual.  there's a good diagram showing the measurements.  do this and you won't have to guess.  as i recall there's a fair bit of tolerance allowed.  i've always been able to merely reuse my shims after verifying i'm within spec.

• Thanks 1

There have been a number of discussions of this on FAQ. My recollection is that you don't need to do the re-calculation if you are using the original trailing arm, spacer tube and shim.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Hans said:

There have been a number of discussions of this on FAQ. My recollection is that you don't need to do the re-calculation if you are using the original trailing arm, spacer tube and shim.

You don’t if you definitely KNOW it is correct. On nearly 50 year old cars it is worth checking the work of all of the previous owners before you. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Simeon said:

You don’t if you definitely KNOW it is correct. On nearly 50 year old cars it is worth checking the work of all of the previous owners before you. 

Good point. In theory.......

In any event, I wouldn't sweat trying to locate new shims until I had determined there was a need. I've been keeping an eye on my trailing arms since 1976. 

• Thanks 1

Get the service manual from the FAQ docs section. Nice info on measuring and installing proper shims

++ on keeping track of which shims were removed from which wheel. But measure per spec anyway

Randy

19 hours ago, Preyupy said:

^ 2 of everything is cheaper than a surface grinder  :-)

Yeah, but you can always make 2 MORE of everything with the surface grinder!

t

only has an angle grinder...

1 hour ago, TobyB said:

Yeah, but you can always make 2 MORE of everything with the surface grinder!

t

only has an angle grinder...

Or just have fun flinging stuff across the shop when the magnetic plate doesn't hold on to it.