• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage/Period correct tow hooks for rear of car?

Jim Strong

Even going through the bumper mount to the captive nuts inside, I think I would want to add more bracing internally or at least something to spread the load.  

I would be frightened that the rear corner would get tweaked if being pulled from a ditch by that loop.

• Like 4

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

3 hours ago, Jim Strong said:

Anyone seen/know of this particular tow hook in picture?

No one with even a small amount of knowledge about 2002 body structures would attempt to do anything with that bracket except tie his dog to it.  Roundies have essentially no reinforcement for the bumper brackets at that point--even on the '73s; it's just two layers of thin sheet metal spot welded together. 

Even the alleged "tow ring" welded to the bottom of the spare tire well is more for looks than actual use.  You don't want to be the tow-er or the tow-ee using it.

The solution would be to get a proper receiver hitch for the car.  Back in the day several companies made towing kits for 2002s that bolted to the body structure, some with a fixed tongue for the tow ball (guaranteed to cause your shins great pain) or with a small removable receiver.  

If you have a US squarelight, there's much more reinforcement in the tail section to support the 5 mph bumper, so you could rig a tow ring that would most likely bear the weight of the car for towing purpose (when the car was being towed out of a ditch, etc).

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Owner since 1973, and the only rear tow hook I recall from the period is the loop welded to the bottom of the spare tire well. These were considered useless in the ‘70’s. Like me, they haven’t improved with age.

There was, however, a trailer hitch among BMW’s dealer accessories. I do not recall the weight capacity of the trailer hitch, but it could tow a small trailer carrying a small motorcycle. If you’re never going to actually use a rear tow hook — e.g., to drag your car out of the bog — go crazy: just be certain to tell that tow truck operator!

The factory turbo, however, came with a threaded receptacle and a removable front tow hook. You might want to check out that for some ideas. Not too long ago, there was a thread on the turbo forum of this site that discussed tool kits. The subject of the tow hook came up.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

3 hours ago, Simeon said:

I would be frightened that the rear corner would be ripped off the car if being pulled from a ditch by that loop.

Fixed that for you, Simeon....?

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

You gentlemen are assuming that he’s looking for an actual functional addition, as opposed to a fashion enhancement in the same vein as the “stance crowd” with extreme negative camber, slammed chassis  and too-small tires stretched onto rims with a quarter inch of exposed lip. I have no idea personally...he just didn’t specify. But I do know that 99% of the cars that you see on the street with tow hooks are purely for looks. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, COOP said:

You gentlemen are assuming that he’s looking for an actual functional addition, as opposed to a fashion enhancement in the same vein as the “stance crowd” with extreme negative camber, slammed chassis  and too-small tires stretched onto rims with a quarter inch of exposed lip. I have no idea personally...he just didn’t specify. But I do know that 99% of the cars that you see on the street with tow hooks are purely for looks. 

You hope that there is always someone around to tell a tow truck operator to stop what they are doing before they use the point clearly marked as a tow point. 

• Like 1

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

3 hours ago, COOP said:

You gentlemen are assuming that he’s looking for an actual functional addition....

Maybe not, COOP, so I inserted the following:

“If you’re never going to actually use a rear tow hook — e.g., to drag your car out of the bog — go crazy: just be certain to tell that tow truck operator!”

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

f1e7d3e9c7d9d3a6f809c478b06ab8c2.jpg

This is the same car from a different angle. I’m assuming the owner has modified the rear panel to make the hook functional. Maybe not? [emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

actually, yes, I am looking for something functional. I was imagining someone on here actually owned a track-worthy car with a good solution. i guess it was my bad assuming the pictured hook was actually functional. i was hoping it was anyway. thanks for all the comments thus far. i was aware that the loop under the spare tire well was best left untried. i was not aware that the rear of the car was too flimsy for the pictured hook. i know that has to be something available somewhere. 

I have functional tow hooks.

They are loops of aircraft cable that loop the

rear fuel cell frame.  That frame's attached at the front

to the diff mount channel and the inner fender structure.

So, for a relatively on- axis tug out of the gravel, or out of the wet grass,

they're pretty stout.

In front, they're loops that go through the bumper mount bolt holes.

Something to think about- you're going to get hit more than you're going to need a tow.

Not a really big slam, just a nudge, a bump, a love tap.

When that happens, the tow hook's going to transfer load to the into the car.

So you don't want something like that hook, protruding so far out, asking for a nudge...

t

hits things.

• Like 3

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

52 minutes ago, Jim Strong said:

actually, yes, I am looking for something functional. I was imagining someone on here actually owned a track-worthy car with a good solution. i guess it was my bad assuming the pictured hook was actually functional. i was hoping it was anyway. thanks for all the comments thus far. i was aware that the loop under the spare tire well was best left untried. i was not aware that the rear of the car was too flimsy for the pictured hook. i know that has to be something available somewhere. 

Not so fast Jim! It might very well be perfectly strong & functional...It all just depends on what kind of reinforcement has been built up behind that panel. Given that it is a race/track car, I would hope it was done right. 

Coop

PS: Happy to hear you’re looking for function!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, COOP said:

Not so fast Jim! It might very well be perfectly strong & functional...It all just depends on what kind of reinforcement has been built up behind that panel. Given that it is a race/track car, I would hope it was done right. 

Coop

PS: Happy to hear you’re looking for function!

yes. as stated i am looking for vintage/period correct hook. something that would be functional but not look out of place on what would have been a '71 race car. the "stance crowd" doesn't interest me.