• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB Air cleaner & Smog stuff

abalslev

Hi, 

I recently purchased a 1976 2002 that I'm fixing up. Since I live in California, I will eventually have to smog the thing. I believe most of the hardware is there except the round air cleaner, the rubber intake boot, and the box that mounts next to the radiator. 

Does anyone on here have these parts that they no longer need? I would assume that many 2002 owners removed this stuff in favor of aftermarket carbs and air filters, especially on cars that are smog exempt.

If so, let me know. I'm in san luis obispo, it'd be awesome if someone on the central coast had these parts. But we can always arrange shipping. 

I have a near new Weber 32/36 with either stock jetting or modded for more motor  a Ram Adapter   the stock Air Cleaner with brackets , an Air filter element, the hose from the air filter to the  cold air box and the cold air box for the front nose

In other words I have everything in like new condition  I will sell the lot for $350 

I'm in San Diego BTW

1 hour ago, rstclark said:

I have a near new Weber 32/36 with either stock jetting or modded for more motor  a Ram Adapter   the stock Air Cleaner with brackets , an Air filter element, the hose from the air filter to the  cold air box and the cold air box for the front nose

In other words I have everything in like new condition  I will sell the lot for $350 

I'm in San Diego BTW

I believe there was a CA.R.B.-certified version of the 32/36 produced for the California market. I’m not certain the non-CA.R.B. version will pass CA’s visual inspection, regardless of how the car performs on the actual emissions test. From everything I hear, you’ve got an uphill battle in front of you when you wish to get a ‘76 ‘02 past California's emissions testing.

Regards and good luck,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Steve  You are correct  as usual  the Ram adapter was CARB approved to run the Weber 32/36 so for visual  it will pass. the real test is the sniffer at Idle and 2500 rpm. Of course there are a lot of other components in the smog system that get pretty complicated in California   Air Pump , EGR  thermo reactor manifold for a California car  etc.  The reality is that most Smog people in California don't have any experience with the equipment and don't know what they are looking at.  The true test is the tail pipe test

So yes unless the Motor is very sound  Good luck passing smog in California with a 76

I once told and person who is quite notorious in San Diego for 2002's and e9's  who's name will remain anonymous, that I had a really nice 76. to which he said "there is no really nice 76 in California"

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I actually have a Weber 32/36 that came with the car, but I couldn’t see any carb sticker / EO number on it. It was my understanding that those must be present to smog it. 

My plan was to run the original solex with the stock air cleaner/hose/intake setup for smog days, then put on my Weber for the other 364 days of the year.

@rstclark are you pretty firm on selling it as a package? I definitely could use the stock air filter + intake hardware, but I don’t really need a second Weber at this point. Though yours probably is in better condition than mine

I believe your 32/36 will be fine for smog Its the adapter to the air c!eaner that is important for CARB requirements  The smog guys most likely won't even know this. 

I wou!d split this up and keep the 32/36 The ba!ance including the adapter the brackets and hardware , the hose and cold air box I would part with for $ 175

17 hours ago, rstclark said:

yes   Here you  go

IMG_3971.jpg

That adapter has an adapter 

Emission testing in CA for a 76 is not really all that hard if you have maintained the system. The problem starts when people disconnect/remove all the stuff and it sits unused. The metals inside the pieces deteriorate and rubber hoses rot, etc...  That being said, the CA specific stuff is a little bit trickier than the 49 state version of the emissions equipment. Main thing being the type of exhaust manifold (thermo reactor vs simple cast iron) and plumbing of the auxiliary air circuit.  Carbs, well the adapter as above is for use on a Weber with stock air cleaner-which you must have for PCV reasons. However as seen above if it provides for recirculation  then you should be okay, but if the tech is older than many of the young'ens doing tests today might raise a stink. Not likely though. Also with visual inspections, the weber is supposed to have a CARB cert tag bolted on top. Again semantics today as them young'ens don't likely know what a carburetor is.  The one part hardest to come by I have seen, is the throttle over-run vacuum restrictor pot. And on and on so the Hoo Doo Voo Doo of CA smog keeps on.  A lot of the challenge is myth, although it is very hard to come back to compliance without all the proper system pieces, period.  The other main thing that goes bunk and is hard to replace easily is the air pump with rear facing hose connectors.  For some reason old used SMOG pumps die sitting on the shelf. Might have something to do with the caustic gases they once feasted on and now the ambient air has reacted and siezed up the inner piston and bearings.  

Want to add-One can attempt to run a catalytic converter too, but by law it would fail visual. Stupid as it is, cause that would help the the emission numbers, but CA is as crazy as the people. 

To the original poster: 

PM me if you want to talk shop on it. I have a whole host of bits to aid in this SMOG journey you are setting out on.  And with my parts price comes free wisdom! 

but what do I know. 

faq14a.jpg

Edited by conkitchen
  • Like 1

But what do I know

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry bout the long response time. I still have a couple steps to complete before I get to start tackling smog - namely welding in new floors and installing new coolant hoses/belts/fluids etc. I appreciate the support, its good to know that people still have these parts. I also have someone local with a bone stock '69 2002 who would lend me his carb/intake for a day when I eventually get it smogged, so I might go that route. 

@rstclark Thanks for the pictures! the adapter does seem like something I could use. First I need to rebuild my weber and see if that'll work with my car. That will determine whether I'll buy your adapter, but I won't know for another few weeks. So if you have another buyer in the meantime don't let me hold you back from selling it. 

@conkitchen Thanks for the info! As stated before, I'm still at least few weeks away from tackling smog. But when that time comes I will send you a PM. The more I can learn the better.