Roeland-02

Replacing rear oil seal 4 speed transmission

8 posts / 428 viewsLast Reply

(edited)

I am replacing several seals and gaskets from my 4 speed getrag transmission and noticed there is a little space between both the old and my new rear oil seal (23121205340)and the rear flange (23211200465)

Wonder how this can seal.

20190330_102345.jpg

20190419_150219.jpg

20190419_150238.jpg

20190419_150141.jpg

Edited by Roeland-02

Thanks for your reply, I did toss it already 6 months ago when i replaced it and noticed it was still leaking. But the new one says 40x55 and i have about 2mm cap so i need 38x55
Strange thing is that 38x55x10 part #23121204210 is for a for a 520i uptill 1975 But i will order it anyway.

8 hours ago, Roeland-02 said:

Thanks for your reply, I did toss it already 6 months ago when i replaced it and noticed it was still leaking. But the new one says 40x55 and i have about 2mm cap so i need 38x55
Strange thing is that 38x55x10 part #23121204210 is for a for a 520i uptill 1975 But i will order it anyway.

The clipped image is from Real OEM when I searched for a 1973 2002 transmission 

Is any special tool required to remove this seal, or just a curved pick?  I have to do a seal change on the front seal, and want to make sure i have the correct tool in hand when I pull the tranny.

(edited)
4 hours ago, Swiss 2002Tii said:

Is any special tool required to remove this seal, or just a curved pick?  I have to do a seal change on the front seal, and want to make sure i have the correct tool in hand when I pull the tranny.

Any pry tool can be used to remove the seals. Just be careful not to damage the aluminum housing.

For installing the new seals, I use a bearing/seal press tool commonly available at most auto parts places.   The BMW service manual describes pressing the output shaft seal into the housing so it is slightly recessed by a couple millimeters. This prevents the outer edge of the seal from damage by the spinning steel coupling.  Adjusting the seal depth (from previous seal location) also helps to prevent leaks. This is one of the most leak prone areas on these transmissions (4 and 5 speed).

another tip is to fill the inner lip of the seal with wheel bearing grease before installation.

Edited by jgerock

(edited)

Thanks Jim, very helpful.

In fact I have a special bearing seating tool that Jim Rowe sent me along with a replacement seal when I reported that the seal was leaking on a newly rebuilt Getrag 245 5-speed.

Transmission is great; notchy, positive gear changes.  Combined with an Auto Solutions short shift kit, it's a blast.

Edited by Swiss 2002Tii

(edited)
18 minutes ago, jgerock said:

Adjusting the seal depth (from previous seal location) also helps to prevent leaks. This is one of the most leak prone areas on these transmissions (4 and 5 speed).

Hmmm. based on your comment perhaps I should first try seating the seal deeper?

Well, if I have the tranny out, and a new seal in my hand, I guess replacement is the smart action.

Edited by Swiss 2002Tii
additional info