• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need (!) Door/Window Trim with Squeegee

2002#3

I need part # 51 21 6 654 221 ASAP.  Trim strip on top of PASSENGER (R) door.  Has an integrated rubber squeegee which fits against the window and which at least tries to keep rain out of door.  

The 1,800-mile trip to Eureka Springs, AR, for '02 MidAmerica Fest next week is probably going to be wet going, returning, and in between.  Several suppliers can provide it; however, shipping will be > a week.    

I deemed this need too urgent to post in Parts Wanted.  Forgive me.

Thanks,

Larry

Larry, if you're referring to the trim/squeegee on the outside of the door, the squeegee is a separate part from the trim.  They used to be rubber, but unless the factory has changed again, they're semi-rigid plastic with a fuzzy face.  Blunt should have 'em. 

You can install 'em with the trim still on the door; after removing the old piece, lube the new piece up with dish soap or silicone spray and slide it in place.  If you want to take the aluminum trim off, be careful as it bends easily.  Best way is to use a paint stirring stick pressed against the bottom of the trim as close to vertical as the door will allow, and tap with a hammer up and down the trim to loosen it a little at a time 'till it pops off.

cheers--and see you in the caravan next Wednesday.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thanks much, Mike.

You think 51 21 1 847 798 might be it?  Cannot tell if it is metal or plastic.  Looks like the real deal.

Yes, Blunt has it..."Sealing Lip".  

Photos 1 and 2:  ECS.  Photo 3:  BluntTech.

Larry

image.png.5e3c449716adcfb0713d4e89d6107508.pngimage.png.ccbd7b265ccac4c0bcf624ba902da41f.pngimage.png.ee30d89685ace8acd65d7b23619a0e6f.png

It doesn't really do much to keep water out, anyways. 

It just directs it to the leading or trailing edge of the window.

Where it runs down inside the door, and out the bottom.

Not a big deal to run without it.

t

NEEDS moar carz

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

The part that looks like a rubber squeegee does not touch the glass.

Plus it is typically plastic, although I remember PW recently saying the new ones he saw were rubber.

Just the fuzzy strip touches the glass.

I recently pulled the fuzzy strip out of a new piece and slid it into the one in my door, since the old fuzzy one was crumbling.  Had to pull it in in four pieces though, due to friction.

015.thumb.JPG.e48c4c8e0937e092b29e311c3b0e9f20.JPG

The plastic squeegee looking part is just fine on my old one.

I worry more about dirt down inside the door holding moisture, than I do about water getting in there.  Especially back in the corners. 

016.thumb.JPG.3233876eb5dc91d5247e46adb17e6cc7.JPG

I made a little scraper tool and dug a surprising amount of dusty crud out of those corners.  Should have done that years ago.

017.thumb.JPG.9cb7732fc1854cbc8f41bcddb5b8de3b.JPG

DISCLAIMER 

I now disagree with some of the timing advice I have given in the past.  I misinterpreted the distributor curves in the Blue Book. 

I've switched from using ported-vacuum to manifold, with better results. 

I apologize for spreading misinformation.  

West Palm, yep, got duct tape for the trip, and for that purpose if needed.

Toby, you are correct.  My driver side squeegee is nice and fresh, touches the glass, and still does nothing much more than direct water to its ends.  The one I am replacing is almost gone; therefore, not able direct water at all.

Larry