• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on Weber 38/38

berjkara

I currently have a 32/36 that has been having some issues and i’ve been wanting to upgrade for a while. Not looking to change my manifold just yet so I was thinking about getting a 38/38. What are your guys’ general thoughts on this? How well does it run? What choke options are there and which ones do you recommend? Thanks.

My general thoughts?

I'd fix the 32-36.

What are its issues?

Timing first, then fuel.  

Got any timing issues?

• Like 3

DISCLAIMER 

I now disagree with some of the timing advice I have given in the past.  I misinterpreted the distributor curves in the Blue Book. 

I've switched from using ported-vacuum to manifold, with better results. 

I apologize for spreading misinformation.  

8 hours ago, berjkara said:

I currently have a 32/36 that has been having some issues and i’ve been wanting to upgrade for a while. Not looking to change my manifold just yet so I was thinking about getting a 38/38. What are your guys’ general thoughts on this? How well does it run? What choke options are there and which ones do you recommend? Thanks.

In my opinion, a Weber 38/38 adds more fun to an M10. You’ll need to remove and modify your intake manifold for the 38/38, and then re-install. Electric choke model is DGES, water a/k/a automatic choke is DGAS and manual choke is DGMS (?) - you’ll need a custom cable and some fab work to install the manual choke version.

-KB

1 hour ago, kbmb02 said:

In my opinion, a Weber 38/38 adds more fun to an M10. You’ll need to remove and modify your intake manifold for the 38/38, and then re-install. Electric choke model is DGES, water a/k/a automatic choke is DGAS and manual choke is DGMS (?) - you’ll need a custom cable and some fab work to install the manual choke version.

-KB

Do I absolutely need to modify my intake? What would happen if i didn’t expand the intake hole?

12 minutes ago, berjkara said:

Do I absolutely need to modify my intake? What would happen if i didn’t expand the intake

If you don’t enlarge the hole your basically choking the carb. 

I also had these questions 4 years ago, I contemplated running twin 40’s but after some research the 38/38 seemed a great route for a street build.

i set up a new 38/38 with a shorty Ireland header and had a great time with the car.

0FDE15DE-C316-4F2F-888F-03CA3347B24F.thumb.jpeg.a3849816f413f92026b758b2238e1191.jpeg

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

9 minutes ago, chargin said:

If you don’t enlarge the hole your basically choking the carb. 

I also had these questions 4 years ago, I contemplated running twin 40’s but after some research the 38/38 seemed a great route for a street build.

i set up a new 38/38 with a shorty Ireland header and had a great time with the car.

0FDE15DE-C316-4F2F-888F-03CA3347B24F.thumb.jpeg.a3849816f413f92026b758b2238e1191.jpeg

Looks real nice, I was thinking of getting the shorty header as well. How is that combo working out for you? Has the header made an improvement in power/sound? Also for enlarging the intake, would I need to take it to a machine shop or can i use the air tools i have at home?

6 minutes ago, berjkara said:

would I need to take it to a machine shop or can i use the air tools i have at home?

You could do it at home but smart money would remove it first, my machine shop charged me $20.00.....

it it sounded great and ran great, I had a 76 low compression motor though, I wanted more compression and a cam, that’s when I stepped onto the slippery slope and built a whole new drive line from Radiator to rear wheel wheels including a LSD 

??

26C89D8E-A226-472B-A385-98FF494C7E83.thumb.jpeg.6984f7aeecf00a9d321334f4448ae23a.jpeg

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

32 minutes ago, chargin said:

you might want to check out this thread before ordering that header 

046e3bfa3fc252f2730af1a83b1e7b12.jpg

DISCLAIMER 

I now disagree with some of the timing advice I have given in the past.  I misinterpreted the distributor curves in the Blue Book. 

I've switched from using ported-vacuum to manifold, with better results. 

I apologize for spreading misinformation.  

I forget what I think about the 38/38....

... but I know I posted something about it a while back.

t

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

You don’t *have* to alter the manifold to fit the carb. You will fit the carb with a phenolic spacer and as long as that is the right diameter to allow the throttle plates to open fully that will work fine. This will space the carb far enough away.  Yes you are restricting the carb but I doubt you would notice the difference in real life driving. 

• Like 1

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Whats your motor like?  I have the 38 and its great performing...BUT...in my opinion it doesn't stay in tune over long periods of time and I have had 2 and have never seemed to keep them from running rich to some extent.  I think its the electric choke system not working well.  That being said its a VERY good performance upgrade especially on a motor that's got high compression, a cam, a nice flowing exhaust and some good spark.  My car runs great and is quite peppy.  I just deal with the "quirks" of it never being perfect...That being said, I'm sure if I dropped the car off with Ken Blasko, gave hime some cash and had him install a new carb and give him a few days to tune it and dial in the choke...it would probably work much better with regards to the choke system and the running rich...I may actually do that one day.

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

When did Weber start offering an out-of-the-box manual choke 38/38?  Thought they only came as electric or water (automatic) chokes only.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite