• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bring a Trailer: Experience and advice

Rastadog

Hi Everyone, I haven’t driven my tii in 7 years. Last summer after redoing fuel lines, filters and replacing the alternator and bushings I started  good old girl for the first time in 6 years; she ran like a top! Did I mention the oil leak? It discouraged me. I am not mechanical. My mechanic who has looked after my car with knowledge and love has retired. The local shop is $ 110/ hour. I’m thinking of selling my car. This has been a difficult emotional decision based on having her since May 1991. Has anyone used Bring a Trailer? If so what has your experience been? If anyone has bought a car there I would appreciate your input too. Should I include spares or sell those separately? The video is first start last summer. Thanks Alex

Rastadog ( Alex) 73 Tii, 2018 VW GTI with 3 pedals.

Well, there's more than one mechanic out there. It will sell better if you get the issues fixed....BUT, once fixed, you should drive it awhile, refamiliarize yourself with the car, then keep it!

Lots of critical people on BAT, if you go that direction, you'd better have thick skin.

• Like 2

Unless it's oil squirting out of crack in the block, I'd generally consider and oil leak a pretty minor thing on 2002.  And a small one from a crank seal or something is pretty much not even worth worrying about.  Anyway, I'll second all of the advice above.  If you like the car, keep it and drive it!  I'm pretty sure I speak for 99% of all 2002 owners out there when I say these cars are worth more to us than what we bought them for, what we could sell them for now, and probable even what we've spent on them!  But if you really do want to get rid of it, definitely post it here and give the FAQers first dibs before resorting to BaT, Craigslist, or Fleabay, please!  Those cars tend to get snapped up by flippers, which just sucks for those here that are genuinely after a keeper car.

You guys all made me smile.

52 minutes ago, NYNick said:

Why not list it here? A nice car with an oil leak shouldn't scare that many people off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Nick, You’re right we’ve both been here a long time, AustrianVespaGuy too if I sell her; here would be best. 

AustrianVespaGuy, it’s not the block. It’s from the front of the motor. I thought it was bad. My brother who races BMW’s saw the pictures and said,” You call that an oil leak?”

Issues, oil leak, brakes need to be sorted with associated hydraulics from sitting and a set of new shoes. The heater motor doesn’t count. The fuel injection had cold start, warmup and a solid idle!  Compression was 170-175 all four. I think the valve seals are tired. Replacement block in 1986.

That said I’m not sure putting three grand into her is something I want to do. It took me 18 months of searching to find a round taillight tii with a factory roof: May 1991. There are just a few things I’ve owned longer. Yup ambivalent.

P.S. no one answered my question, my aforementioned brother has a love hate relationship with BaT too.

Thanks Alex

Ok Rasta, I'll bite. No, I haven't used BaT, and I wouldn't. Who needs the microscopic haters when you can stay right here with the lovers?
Just my .02 cents

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

27 minutes ago, Mario Falfan said:

All German cars leak oil , it’s part of their charm !

8DBA6329-9B0E-4141-80A8-325E473AAAD6.jpeg

I appreciate the support. This is past charming. Ran her for twenty minutes, backed her under her own power into the garage, next day yuck. The fan blew it all over.

759ADE59-9669-431E-8054-58346E055686.jpeg

Going the BaT route and selling the spares separately will likely get you top dollar. 

That said, I have read more than a few posts of previous owners regretting selling their beloved cars after looking back years later.  

You also may be underestimating your skills at maintaining the car. I am an example of knowing very little of how to fix an ‘02, when I first got mine 5 years ago...to now taking on some major projects. 

With the help of this awesome forum, there is a lot you can do yourself.

Vince

'72 2002tii 'Liesl'

27 minutes ago, Mario Falfan said:

All German cars leak oil , it’s part of their charm !

8DBA6329-9B0E-4141-80A8-325E473AAAD6.jpeg

I appreciate the support. This is past charming. Ran her for twenty minutes, backed her under her own power into the garage, next day yuck. The fan blew it all over.

I have used BaT.

You use BaT for one reason, to maximize dollars. You can sell your tii ANYWHERE, but what you can get out of the sale of your tii will vary greatly based on how you sell it. BaT only makes sense to me if you're ready to put in the effort for showmanship. My advice is to present you car in the most transparent and comprehensive way possible if you go this route. Hire a photographer if your only method of picture snapping is with an old cell phone and scout a location other than the driveway. Fix the little nagging items, like replacing light bulbs that aren't working or misaligned trim. If you know one thing about BaT it is that idiots prowl with one objective... to detract from you receiving top dollar for you car. For example, there is some guy who insists on commenting about every single nose panel on any 2002tii listed if he sees a snorkel, we get it, it’s been swapped. Annoying comments or worse will pop up 10:1 against the positive or serious inquiries. Just be ready to respond to all the noise professionally, but attempt to stay ahead of the negativity. I would read through the last 10 2002tii's ads and learn. It truly is a game as much as it is an auction. I have used them for three listings. It is not for everyone or for every car.

Be active, be honest, be thick-skinned.

Godspeed.

Edited by oh2ryan
  • Like 2

-Ryan

05/87 M3 Hennarot

04/71 2002tii Baikal

O2ryan, Thank you for your thoughtful and informative response. After 28 years of ownership I know every thing right and wrong with my car. I’ve read the BaT comments regarding 2002’s for sale. I have a thick skin and know more about tii’s than the majority who post. It can be quite amusing. Good news my car has the original nose.  But if I sell it here on the forum it seems more like keeping it in the family. That said it might be a 2-3 thousand difference in price. I don’t like negotiating; I’m too literal. First I have to make up my mind. Thanks again Alex

My friend sold his E24 on BAT several years ago, beautiful M6. Although he got top dollar for it, all he said was never again.  Perhaps the car was so nice commenters dug deep to find something to nitpick or treated it like he was covering something up. He felt like is honesty was being questioned, and he's a tough Navy veteran.  Don't ever question the integrity of our veterans!

• Like 2

I sold my 74 Tii on BaT last year.  Overall positive experience with BaT.  The first auction winner didn't follow thru with the purchase, so BaT ran an 2nd auction.  I have heard from other sellers they didn't like BaT pushing them down on reserve price before accepting their vehicle.  BaT doesn't want to list cars that won't sell due to high reserves.  I was realistic on expected price, so wasn't an issue.  Need to consider that buyer is paying 5% fee, will factor into their bidding price, effectively coming out of your wallet.

Alex, speaking as a long-time '02 owner...if you sell your 28 years long possession, you're gonna regret it.  Eventually.  And it'll be twice as hard (and expensive) to find another one.

An oil leak in the front of the car may be something really simple, like a loose oil filter (or oil filter mount) or a loose K-fish oil line, or even a front crank seal.  While the latter is a PITA to replace, it's certainly well within the range of a moderately skilled shade tree mechanic (even I did one of those years ago).  

All second the motion for sorting things out, get the oil leak under control, get the brakes working again, and then drive it this summer.   If after driving it for awhile you find the magic has gone, then sell it.  But I'll bet you find the magic hasn't.

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite