Mark92131

Sold Sadly, Time to move on...

19 posts / 5129 viewsLast Reply

Price: $100

Description:

I have heard all the excuses...  I'm not getting any younger.  I am out of room.  I have taken my project as far as I can.  I don't drive it much any more.  Sadly, I now am that guy.  I purchased my 1971 BMW 1600 Voll Cabriolet in November 2003, shipped it from Belgium sight unseen.  It had been restored in Belgium, but had been upgraded to a 2 liter motor from a 2000CS.  A couple months after it arrived, I spun a bearing in the 2000CS motor and started a 2 year project to complete a total restoration of the drivetrain, including a rebuilt 2 liter motor, 245 Getrag 5 speed, 320i LSD, 320i rear brakes, ST springs and sway bars, Bilstein HD shocks and struts, rear subframe mounts, tie rods, center link.  Bill Holmes at Bavarian Rennsport did most of the heavy lifting, I did most of the fine tuning (fuel and ignition).  It is fast, sorted and is ready to be enjoyed by a new owner.

I recently put together a video, so you can get an idea of the driving experience.

It is registered and located in CA with a clear title, (not an easy thing to do now days), but I will assist with out of state transportation at the buyers expense.  I am offering it here on the FAQ first, but will submit it to BAT if I don't receive any viable offers.  I am looking for something slightly less than the 1971 BMW 1600 Cabriolet sold at the Gooding Auction in 2014.

PM me with any questions.

Thanks,

Mark92131

DSCF0015.jpg

DSCF0024.jpg

DSCF0015 (2).JPG

photo (6).JPG

IMG_1960.JPG

Gooding Auction.JPG

• Like 6

THIS IS AN EXTREMELY GORGEOUS CAR! Somebody snap this up quickly before he comes to his senses and ups the price 10k.

P.S. Mark, can I buy it and make $500 monthly payments for the next 12 years!?!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 2Red69s said:

P.S. Mark, can I buy it and make $500 monthly payments for the next 12 years!?!

I don't think I'll be around in 12 years.  Thanks for the kind words, hopefully you'll never need to part with Cabriolina.

On 4/16/2019 at 12:48 PM, AndyS said:

didn't think I would still be south of 70 when you sold this!

Never planned on selling it, but never really planned on getting older either.

On 4/15/2019 at 3:32 PM, Coastalcrush408 said:

So 40-50k ish 

On 4/16/2019 at 8:08 AM, conkitchen said:

Slightly less than $68,200

SO $68,100-$68,00 ish 

So many different interpretations of "slightly less".  For me, something between $60K and $65K would get it done.

Mark92131

• Like 2

My Cabriolet is now on BAT.  I tried their premium service that included a professional photographer and am now regretting that decision.  The photos look blah and uninspiring.  I think I could have done better with my iPhone.  Hopefully it finds a good home.

Mark92131

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-bmw-1600-voll-cabriolet/

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FunElan said:

Where'd you get those gauges in the console!?

I bought them from eGauges, but a quick check reveals they may be out of business.  The auction has been entertaining so far, people have been mostly kind like @dbower above.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark92131

3 hours ago, Coastalcrush408 said:

Did it end up going to a new owner? 

Still negotiating with the high bidder, with several backup offers.  I'll post the results if we get something done.

Mark92131

• Like 3