2002ftw

Getrag Manual Transmissions - part numbers?

5 posts / 227 viewsLast Reply

(edited)

Hello folks,

I am looking to start identifying the full list of parts needed to convert my automatic 2002 over to a manual. Before posting here I have read through some guides here including this really good one (http://www.bimmers.com/02/upgrades/transmission.html) but what I didnt see was part numbers for the transmissions. Im hoping to obtain exact part numbers for the

1) Getrag 245 5 speed close ratio dogleg,

2) the Getrag 245 5 speed with overdrive, and,

3) if I am not successful in either of those, the 2002 4 speed manual box,

so at least I know exactly what Im looking for when browsing adverts etc. Also some idea about where these markings are on the unit, would be great..

Are these part numbers global, or might they vary by region (Im in Europe)

Finally do all of the G245s above have mechanical speedometer output?

can anybody help ?

thanks a lot.

Edited by 2002ftw
typos.

The close ratio dogleg is a 235/5.

(edited)

I don't know anyone that refers to the various transmissions by BMW part number.  Most of us refer to them by the model number,  232 is the early 2002 4 speed, 242 is the later e21 4 speed, 235/5 is the factory Close ratio "dog leg" 5 speed for the 2002,   245/5 is the overdrive used in the 1980-83 e21 4 cylinder cars (this is the common 2002 conversion transmission).  The 245/10 is the close ratio "dog leg" 5 speed used on the 4 cylinder e21 that is the same basic case as the 245/5.  There are later 240 series OD 5 speeds that don't have the speedo drive and are a different length than the 245/5 so be careful. 

There are no "part numbers" on the transmissions.  if you look there are CASTING numbers on some of the pieces but some of those castings were used on multiple gearboxes so you can't rely on them.  Each gearbox can be identified externally if you know what you are looking for.  If you are converting from an automatic the rear transmission mounts in the chassis are in the right place if you are installing a 4 speed.  If you want to install any of the 5 speeds you will need to move the mounting points in the trans tunnel (unless you use the aftermarket mounting bracket sold by people like Ireland).

Edited by Preyupy

www.realoem.com could probably give you the part numbers, but...

as Byron says, no- one else would really know what you were talking about.

t