• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Keeping Cool

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I was just wondering if putting in a 320 radiator was the way to go in

terms of keeping the engine from overheating. I've seen some

aftermarket radiators but don't know much about the subject. Also,

should I put in a different thermostat when swapping? Thanks for any

suggestions.

Guest Anonymous

alpine500_28.jpg

His radiators look VERY stock and use the same mounting points and hose locations. Also, go to a lower temp thermostat.

If you are not worried about modifying the car, the 320i radiator does have some advantages. lighter weight, cost.

Guest Anonymous

If your overheating is caused by a deteriorated radiator, changing the thermostat won't help. Switching to a lower rated t'stat in this case will have *no* affect on the overheating.

The cheapest replacement radiator is the late 320i aluminum/plastic one; it requires different mounting points and a modified lower hose. Some places sell a kit with the necessary bits.

You can buy a new 02 radiator or recore your existing one. Beware a thicker core, as there is very little fan clearance with the stock core.

Except in an emergency, don't bother with a used radiator. There is no practical way to evaluate its internal condition.

Guest Anonymous

Maximillian set me up with all the bits, mounting goodies, and a little advice. Was an easy swap, and my car stays coooooool. Personally I like the Aluminium radiator, but you need to be a little more careful when working around it, and make sure to mount it so it's reasonably well vibration isolated (I think mine has rubber spacers) which will reduce the risk of cracking the plastic tanks.

-------------

BigDog

'76 2002

Guest Anonymous

Curt's 3-row is a bolt-in swap, nothing to change.

I'm regularly relearning that properly maintained stock systems always work better than any modifications. CD, Curt, and the other mechanics already know this, of course. If you do the 320 radiator, you won't find any information about it in the manuals 5 years from now, and you probably won't remember what you did, either. It'll most likely be a big hassle to reengineer the modified system when it fails in the future.

I'm gradually putting my car back to stock. For a daily driver, I don't want to have to remember all the modifications 5 years from now.

-Jerry

Guest Anonymous

...can be changed quickly and easily by a middle aged woman in the middle of a parking lot with simple hand tools, the loan of a catch pan and a little help from a BMW CCA Roundel columnist.

It takes about six grown men with varying opinions and mechanical skills a little bit longer to accomplish a similar task, however...

You guys are great, really!!!

:)

Delia

Guest Anonymous

DSCF0012.JPG

URL: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2480176381

I had a local shop build mine a couple years ago, and they did a great job for me. I had been working with that shop for several years already, or else I would have ordered one from Curt. I've seen them, and they are slick! Also nice to support a fellow 02er. I always think the 320i rad looks kinda funny in an 02.

Al

Guest Anonymous

Or is it simply for the same reason that hot dog buns come eight to a package and hot dogs come ten to a package???

Guest Anonymous

nameless) installed one of Curt's new radiators into an '02...and it overheated worse than before. After much troubleshooting and headscratching, someone finally noticed the cardboard protector still in place on the radiator's front...supposed to protect it from shipping damage, and be removed prior to installation!

Delia removed her cardboard first....

Mike

Guest Anonymous

Ever try to cook 10 dogs on a BBQ and have ALL of them turn out OK?

There is ALWAYS going to be that one "Cajun dog" that even the family dog won't eat, or the one that slips between the grille.

Guest Anonymous

I realize there's little nourishment in a hot dog, but hot dog buns are a proven source of oxygen.

:P

Delia