West Palm 2002

Early wheel color paint

16 posts in this topic Last Reply

FYI 

I purchased a 1967 built 1600

its spare was stock original and

paint was unfaded or soiled.

i polished and cleaned before having professional match and place in spray can .

many of my fellow 02’ers have been deferring to werth wheel

silver for the convenience of spray cans. Here is a new correct option 

A595E115-6A30-40E6-82A5-9E4ADBDBB0CE.jpeg

70D57511-9F6F-4779-8443-42825E2C1884.jpeg

8A306FDB-FF96-4815-AF66-2BD9FFE4F348.jpeg

• Like 7

I am curious about this-were spares painted silver or black?   The spare in my ‘72 has scuffed up black paint,  which I thought was odd, but I feel like I read somewhere here spares were painted  black for some years.

2A32155D-26F0-4E45-A64A-1855B3508025.jpeg

And take notice of the, um, "agricultural" finish of the paint on the right side. Makes my rattle-can job look decent! Example #43 in "we over-restore these little old cars"...

Posted from my phone.

Bluehills, my guess is the silver has flaked/worn off somehow, or someone repainted it black. The wheels were originally painted black, then the faces sprayed silver. I don't think there was a distinction between spares and road wheels; they were identical.

Posted from my phone.

• Like 3

Oh, I'm sorry! I thought both wheel photos were the original finish. Now I feel like a heel. I'd never criticize another man's spray can paint job, especially if you looked closely at any of mine.

Posted from my phone.

(edited)
11 hours ago, bluehills2002 said:

I am curious about this-were spares painted silver or black?   The spare in my ‘72 has scuffed up black paint,  which I thought was odd, but I feel like I read somewhere here spares were painted  black for some years.

2A32155D-26F0-4E45-A64A-1855B3508025.jpeg

All steel rims — spare and non-spare — were treated equally, which is to say, they were the same color, more-or-less, and finished with equal indifference....

The rim above appears to have a coat of black paint sloppily-applied with a brush, post-factory, over the factory silver. Notice that even the wheel weight had been painted black. That black re-painting is now peeling off. But the facts may be more complex than this. Why?

Lemmerz was the primary supplier of steel rims for ‘02’s (Kronprinz was secondary, Solrad was tertiary). Most Lemmerz steel rims supplied to BMW for round taillight ‘02’s — not all — were black rims that had silver paint applied over the black paint, but only on the front face. Thus, the front faces were silver and there was silver overspray reaching parts of the outer barrel and rear face. But the rear face remained essentially black.

So, if that is a Lemmerz rim, it could have factory black paint on the rear face, and the front face could have post-factory black paint, over factory silver paint, over factory black paint....

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Conserv said:

Most Lemmerz steel rims supplied to BMW for round taillight ‘02’s — not all — were black rims that had silver paint applied over the black paint, but only on the front face. Thus, the front faces were silver and there was silver overspray reaching parts of the outer barrel and rear face. But the rear face remained essentially black.

+1.  Exactly the way my '69 came from the factory, as did my 73, whose wheels still had their original paint when I bought it in 1978.  So for a proper restoration, paint your steel wheels black on the back side, then overspray silver through the holes!

Interestingly, the ATS early style alloys were done the same way.  They were painted with a dull grey primer front and back, and then only the front sides were painted silver, compete with overspray through the slots and lug nut holes.  I have an unused spare alloy wheel and that's the way it was painted.

mike

When I got my e30 steel wheels refinished the guy insisted on spraying the whole wheel black first before the front face was painted silver. He did this because “that’s how BMW had all of their steel wheels”. Original it may be but it does make any scratches/ damage a lot more visible.

A few more years and I will be refinishing them again myself... with a spray can... of silver paint.

(edited)

Although the silver-face-with-black-back finish was the most common finish for Lemmerz rims on round taillight ‘02’s, there were certainly exceptions. Below are two examples of original-finish rims that don’t follow the general rule.

1. A February 1967 (“2/67”) Lemmerz rim, 4.5”, from my ‘67 1600-2, has the back almost-completely painted silver (first two photos).

2. A May 1972 (“5/72”) Lemmerz rim, 5”, from a ‘72 tii I parted in 1974, has the back painted silver. This is consistent with many other Lemmerz 5” rims (a.k.a., “tii rims”) in my collection and others which I have seen. Is it a 5” rim “thing”? I don’t know (third and fourth photos).

And of course, those with Kronprinz and Solrad rims are not part of the silver-face-with-black-back regime. They appear to be factory silver on both sides.

More data is always welcome.

Regards,

Steve

09687AB3-8752-40F6-BB2B-FE34D29080FE.jpeg

F5C57483-8130-4EAF-9B77-87DECDC48D33.jpeg

4C668BA4-EA64-4E13-AE3B-904D1B6ABCBF.jpeg

3E9C0F4B-F354-4E85-8D5C-D70F7F8C7607.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Conserv said:

A May 1972 (“5/72”) Lemmerz rim, 5”, from a ‘72 tii I parted has the back painted silver. This is consistent with many other Lemmerz 5” rims (a.k.a., “tii rims”) in my collection and others which I have seen. Is it a 5” rim “thing”? I don’t know

Steve, now you've got me curious...I have a bunch of 5" roundie tii wheels, both on my cars and in my parts department, so will have to check and see if the back sides were silver.  I do know that the OEM 4.5" rims on both my '69 and '73 had black backs, as, interestingly enough the nearly identical wheels used on Opel Kadett station wagons, both 4.5 and 5" rim widths.

mike

(edited)
7 hours ago, mike said:

Steve, now you've got me curious...I have a bunch of 5" roundie tii wheels, both on my cars and in my parts department, so will have to check and see if the back sides were silver.  I do know that the OEM 4.5" rims on both my '69 and '73 had black backs, as, interestingly enough the nearly identical wheels used on Opel Kadett station wagons, both 4.5 and 5" rim widths.

mike

And, Mike, I have some Lemmerz 5” Opel rims that are black rims with silver faces, a la round taillight ‘02 (first two photos, an example dated October 1981).... 😗

Of course, other of my Lemmerz 5” Opel rims are silver on both sides (third and fourth photos, an example dated May 1977)....🤔

Best regards,

Steve

0F4D67D5-961A-441B-AD0A-21E1314F909F.jpeg

A6FA7A50-AF10-4F91-A897-FBFB912F2667.jpeg

8F0D6C89-D315-45A7-8B3D-EAAC5A867DDB.jpeg

99EF8200-30CA-4FDE-9C7A-FB6478BE1EE3.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

Guess the real answer is how much silver paint the wheel company had on hand, and whether Fritz or Hans was working the paint booth on a particular day...

All my Opel wheels are the plain jane ones that are identical to the BMW wheels except they are stamped "Opel" on the center section, and the valve stem hole is in a different location in relation to the hubcap nubs.

mike

• Like 1

Thank you Steve and Mike for the enlightenment.  As I look at my spare in the daylight, I see it it is actually two tone—blue outer ring,   black inner ring, so clearly painted by some prior owner (hey, it was the 70s!). The other steelies were long gone when I acquired the car.  But scraping away a little of the black paint,I see it is a ‘72 wheel (car mfg date of 7/72, base model), and the inside appears to be silver.  PS:  this car is not on the road, so I am not counting on that ancient Michelin to get me home!)

3B521CBE-3965-4738-90CC-897A6C04BA68.jpeg

B0252D44-65D0-4C40-94E1-5014DF2593BB.jpeg

C5580EB1-4D98-42D2-A869-F64110F1AD8C.jpeg

• Thanks 1