• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear defrost switch location?

2002ftw

Hello folks,

I just purchased a 1972 2002 and hoping to restore it, and it appears to have some previous work done to some of the electrics and centre spotlights added also.

Im trying to document all electrical problems before stripping the car, and one of the items on my list is to check if the rear demist / defrost is still working or not.

The only problem is - I cant seem to locate the switch and as a 2002 newbie Im not really sure what Im looking for! Im wondering if the switch was repurposed for the spot lights but I cant be sure.

My next port of call was to start tracing the wires from the rear window forwards but thought I might ask here first to save some time, can anybody shed some light on where the switch should be located in the cabin?

Many thanks.

Will

Edited by 2002ftw

Does your '72 have a three or four lever heater temp/blower control?  If the former, the backlight defroster switch is the blower knob pulled out (you rotate it for blower speed).

If the latter, it's the pull knob in the lower left position on the binnacle and if a US car should be labeled.  

If it's a pre-modell 71 car, the location can vary as a relatively small number of US spec cars were fitted with heated backlights.  I've never seen one located where Guy's is--atop the dash to the right of the instrument binnacle.  Perhaps they were mandatory on Canadian cars.  

Heated backlights were theoretically available in the US with the '68 models, but when I tried to order my car with one in early '69, I was told they weren't available.  When I finally fitted one 20 years later, I put the switch on a little auxiliary panel under the steering column, which originally came from a pre-68 1600.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

My 1970 model (VIN 1668093, manufactured September 8, 1969) had a rear defroster and it operated through a dual-function switch — blower and rear defroster — on the binnacle, as Mike described above. I owned the car at least 6 months before I discovered it, as the car’s original Owner’s handbook was mute on the subject.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Impeccable timing on this question! 

I was wondering the exact same thing yesterday.  Unfortunately, I subjected Fritz to an absolute deluge on the way back from our CCA Chapter's Cocomats tour and the rear window fogged up.  I just ran down to the garage, and sure enough, the switch pulls out.  No idea if it actually works, but hopefully I won't have to drive in the rain again anytime soon.

I did pull on the lower right knob as I was fiddling around yesterday and the wipers sped up.  That was a bonus find ?

Thanks for the info,

Tim

Tim Dennison

'72 BMW 2002 tii - Malaga,  '02 BMW Z3 Coupe Sterling Gray,  '09 BMW 650i - Carbon Black,  '15 BMW 228i Estoril Blue,  '19 BMW Z4 30 - San Francisco Red

This shows what Mike mentions,  pull switch at lower right. What I find interesting is that you might have a working defroster. Mine is toast, too far gone for a repair.

DSC_4836.JPG

Edited by 7502
the

25 minutes ago, 7502 said:

This shows what Mike mentions,  pull switch at lower right. What I find interesting is that you might have a working defroster. Mine is toast, too far gone for a repair.

DSC_4836.JPG

Interesting that it's so different on the later models.  On the '72-'73 (and perhaps earlier), the lower left knob is pulled for rear defrost.  It's the same knob that controls fan speed when you twist it.  The lower right, which is your rear defrost location is the wiper speed on the '72-'73.

Found this in the reference section.  See #2 & #8:

1219113402_InstrumentLayout.thumb.JPG.8115a4541ff4ef08a397f4395bb74f73.JPG141963211_InstrumentNumbers.thumb.JPG.eb1d8a4b2e3764aea6ca2350e2f631e8.JPG

Tim Dennison

'72 BMW 2002 tii - Malaga,  '02 BMW Z3 Coupe Sterling Gray,  '09 BMW 650i - Carbon Black,  '15 BMW 228i Estoril Blue,  '19 BMW Z4 30 - San Francisco Red

Hi folks, many thanks for all of the insightful responses, so here is the shot of the dash on mine, I note some lack of labelling, for example on the red "Brake" light..the right most guage for fuel etc, and around the other knobs, not sure if the cigarette lighter knob is stock/option or an aftermarket addition, it looks larger than the other 3.. the car is not with me right now but I will be sure to try pulling out the fan speed knob in the hopes that something happens, I will keep you posted! I should also mention this is a United Kingdom car originally (at least I think it is!), and currently based in Ireland, where there is lots of opportunity for foggy windows due to all the rain and misty days..

IMG-20190415-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20190415-WA0004.jpg

second for NY Transplant comment, I also just found out where the defrost button is, eureka, but my question is, does the defroster work on air flow or is there supposed to be a rear glass with the electric heating elements in it, ?? Thank you,Richard

3 hours ago, Rich said:

second for NY Transplant comment, I also just found out where the defrost button is, eureka, but my question is, does the defroster work on air flow or is there supposed to be a rear glass with the electric heating elements in it, ?? Thank you,Richard

Mine has the heating element on the glass as well.

Tim Dennison

3 hours ago, 2002ftw said:

Hi folks, many thanks for all of the insightful responses, so here is the shot of the dash on mine, I note some lack of labelling, for example on the red "Brake" light..the right most guage for fuel etc, and around the other knobs, not sure if the cigarette lighter knob is stock/option or an aftermarket addition, it looks larger than the other 3.. the car is not with me right now but I will be sure to try pulling out the fan speed knob in the hopes that something happens, I will keep you posted! I should also mention this is a United Kingdom car originally (at least I think it is!), and currently based in Ireland, where there is lots of opportunity for foggy windows due to all the rain and misty days..

IMG-20190415-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20190415-WA0004.jpg

My headlight switch and cigarette lighter are swapped compared to yours, but the fan switch and "unlabeled" wiper speed switch are in the same places as mine.  My guess is they intentionally locate the lighter on the the ashtray side depending on right or left steering wheel location ?  

Tim Dennison

4 hours ago, Rich said:

....does the defroster work on air flow or is there supposed to be a rear glass with the electric heating elements in it, ??....

The rear window defroster consists of heated elements applied to the rear glass. Many have lost their....”spunk” 50 years down the road... Hell...many had lost their spunk 25 years down the road.... ??

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

7 minutes ago, Conserv said:

The rear window defroster consists of heated elements applied to the rear glass. Many have lost their....”spunk” 50 years down the road...

While the backlight defroster on my '73 died some few years ago, amazingly the one on my '69 still has better than 50% of the grid working.  I installed it around 1987, after having searched for a clear heated backlight for nearly 20 years.  Found it on a Euro 1600 parts car in Georgia and brought it home in the trunk of my 2002 (it fits!).  Very few US cars with clear (untinted) glass were fitted with heated backlights--dunno why as it was listed as an option from the very beginning.  They only became common when the factory started fitting tinted glass to US spec cars.

mike  

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite