• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SOT...Good track day helmet?

jrhone

Planning on doing a few track days.  For those who have done track days, what kind of helmet do you use?  The organization that puts on the track days i plan on attending require Snell 2010 or newer.  That leaved lots of options.  Open face or closed?   Brands u like?  Best bang for the buck?  

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

This really important, well at least it is on a motorcycle- it has to fit absolutely correct.  Your head cannot rattle around inside.  All the brands (and some of the models) fit differently, you need to try them on.  For sure nothing to give you a head ache, but it needs to be close fitting.

That's probably the really important thing.

Beyond that, from all my years on a moto, I prefer a full face helmet, even in the car- just makes me feel safer.  I prefer the lightest helmet I can find, so I'm in a full carbon fiber jobbie from Bell currently.

Maybe Marshall or someone else will comment on HANS stuff.  Not for trackdays maybe, but for full race for sure.

I'd say if you can't try them on before you buy, see if you can just borrow one.

• Like 1

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

get the newest snell standard you can.  that way it will be useable longer.  should be looking for a snell2015.  snell2010's are cheaper because they only have a limited time left until they expire.  SA is the automobile rating.  MA is motorcycle.

get a full face with visor.  safer.  and use the visor even in a car.  crap flys in the window on track and if worst case happens and you hit something, the visor will keep the debris (and GLASS) out of your face and eyes. BTDT.  (wearing glasses is not enough)

brand of helmet not really relevant....as Dave said, get whatever one FITS.  it must be snug.  if your head can move without the helmet moving it is too loose.  helmets are like running shoes...each manufacturer has a different last/mold shape.  they all fit different.

a head and neck restraint is a good idea.  they used to be only useable in a car with harnesses.  now companies make them that work with normal 3 point car belts.

PS - those foam neck collars are NOT safety devices.

• Like 2

2xM3

Ditto what Dave and Marshall have said about helmets.  

On HANS (or equivalent) for track days, I have one and use it. But not always. I find it is enough of a hassle that I don't wear it unless the track has an immovable barrier that can be hit. Maybe that's a bit of a risk, since any barrier can theoretically be hit, but it's a calculated risk. But also, track days are a much more controlled environment than racing. For example, my group doesn't allow passing in the novice group except with a point by in designated areas, and the novices have an instructor riding shotgun who'll veto a risky pass and who are also keeping the novices to speeds within their driving ability. Only in the most advanced group can you pass, and we're pretty careful there too. 

If you're just buying a helmet, you're years away from the advanced run group. I'd recommend thinking of a neck restraint only if yours is one of those tracks with immovable things to hit and probably not until you're out of the novice group. 

Edited by g_force

Josh (in Dallas)

'72 tii

13 hours ago, jrhone said:

Planning on doing a few track days.  For those who have done track days, what kind of helmet do you use?  The organization that puts on the track days i plan on attending require Snell 2010 or newer.  That leaved lots of options.  Open face or closed?   Brands u like?  Best bang for the buck?  

I have a Simpson I really like, but like everyone else said, what matters is fit. Everyone's head, face, ears, jaw chin etc are different. If I were you I'd go down to Sube Sports and try some on. Unless they have a reputation that precedes them (I'd never heard of them until I did a internet search) I would say they'd be your best bet.

Counterfeit gear is an issue with cheap online stuff, is your brain worth the gamble to you?

19 minutes ago, theNomad said:

Go to a motorcycle shop and have at the wall of helmets. That might get you closer

But, be sure you buy an "SA" (i.e. auto racing) rated helmet, not an "M" (i.e. motorcycle).  

I can't attest to whether, a Simpson, for example, auto helmet fits the same as a Simpson motorcycle helmet of the same level. I can say that even helmets from the same manufacturer (high end vs. low end) fit differently. So, I agree with Nomad that a motorcycle shop might get you closer, but its worth it even if you have to make a road trip to visit a shop that sells automotive helmets. 

Edited by g_force

Josh (in Dallas)

'72 tii

Also, another note on full face versus open face, if there's a chance you'll be driving a car with an airbag, get a full face.  I was at a safety seminar once where the speaker said the open face is known to catch on the airbag and potentially wrench your neck. The full face (but only with the visor closed) is more likely to slide on the airbag, like your face would slide on the airbag, and thus less likely to wrench your neck.

Josh (in Dallas)

'72 tii

7 hours ago, g_force said:

But, be sure you buy an "SA" (i.e. auto racing) rated helmet, not an "M" (i.e. motorcycle).  

From dim memories of buying crash helmets in the UK years ago (of course they have yet another set of standards), I am sure I remember that a helmet rated for motorcycle racing was the higher standard compared something for use in car racing.

Obviously shit memory and different standards means this may not be the case here but wouldn’t a bike helmet have to cope with all of the issues a car helmet might and then some more? Why wouldn’t the bike helmet be the higher standard and therefore usable in car based auto sport?

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

2 hours ago, Simeon said:

From dim memories of buying crash helmets in the UK years ago (of course they have yet another set of standards), I am sure I remember that a helmet rated for motorcycle racing was the higher standard compared something for use in car racing.

Obviously shit memory and different standards means this may not be the case here but wouldn’t a bike helmet have to cope with all of the issues a car helmet might and then some more? Why wouldn’t the bike helmet be the higher standard and therefore usable in car based auto sport?

no. the motorcycle standard is not "higher".  it is just different.  MC impacts are different than cars.  rider fly off bike and tend to have multiple smaller impacts.  drivers of cars tend to have fewer, harder impacts in a crash.  different types of modes have different accidents, hence the helmet designs differ.  neither is better.

2xM3

Major differences are motorcycle helmets dont have flame retardants like race car helmets.  So they may have the same (or similar) impact protections but not fire resistant materials and linings.  Also as Marshall stated they are designed for multiple impacts.  Thats why race tracks wont let you use motorcycles helmets for driving events.  When i rode sportbikes if you even dropped the helmet you were supposed to replace it.  So yes SA2010 is the minimum rating for most driving events with SA2015 being the newer rating.  M2015 ratings are motorcycle ratings. 

Also M2015 gas a wider field of vision requirement for motorcycle helmets.  

Edited by jrhone

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

folks keep talking fit.  try a couple different brands.  some work better for oval shaped heads, some for rounder heads.  often you can return if it doesn't fit you.  the standard test is, put the helmet on, then watch Grand Tour, or Top Gear or something like that...  you should be able to make it thru the show...

good luck and also a huge fan of a HANS.  after doing some lemon's racing and then doing a track day in my 2002, i'm looking at roll bars HANS and real seat belts.  sorta kills the "drive the family to the farmers market" thing though.  one does have to make choices...

I found a very reasonably priced helmet from Pyrotect several years ago. It fit well and was full face and not incredibly heavy (at least to me). I did a few track days and never felt fatigued.

It IS a little weird shopping at the low end of the price spectrum for something that can save your life, but you can get a quality helmet for not a ton of money. Obviously more money usually means better materials and lighter weight.

-David

1972 2002 - 2577652 Follow the fun