• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

bumper laws in CA

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey everyone

I need to straighten out my front chrome bumper mount, which means I have to take my front bumper off- and possibly drive around without a front bumper-- anybody know if this is going to be a problem in the Sacramento/bay area of CA with the local police?

Guest Anonymous

Would they pull you over for for a missing front bumper,probably not. Would they use it as an excuse to pull you over and check license,registration and proof of insurance. If that doesnt bother you go for it. A friend(cop) that does traffic in San Francisco swears he can find a legitimate reason to pull anybody over within a couple of miles. My understanding is that most people with a motorcycle cop following them get very nervous.As the gal that ran a red light and complained she couldnt watch him in the rear view mirror and the road at the same time. She had 6 outstanding traffic warrants. Go figure. In answer to your question you would probably be fine but it could be ued to pull you over. DD

Guest Anonymous

I drove my 323i around sacramento all the time with no bumpers, and it looked like hell to boot. I never was pulled over or even looked at sideways. With the amount of "classic" cars in various states of repair in this area, I think most officers turn a blind eye to minor infractions. Though I have been nailed for no front liscense plate before...Good luck!!

-Alan

69 1602

78 323i

83 320i

Guest Anonymous

MC cop in Walnut Creek used that as the excuse to pull me over. Of course the car was currently all primer with a roll cage and fender flares. He gave me a fix-it ticket for bald front tires (they were Yoko A008s with that wide,flat shoulder; I wasn't going to argue with him)and for no front bumper. I DID have a Zender airdam which has a raised edge that when it is painted black, can sometimes pass for a bumper.

I went home and threw on the front bumper and went to the CHP office to have them sign it off. Most of the CHP people seem to be car guys and can appreciate things. They even KNEW what Yoko A008s were.