• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 Golf 2002 "Sleeper" mechanically restored to near race

vespam5

Price: $100

Description:

NOW ON BAT

Guys I am listing my car on here before giving BAT a shot at it. This a 1971 BMW 2002 which has been in my family for 10 years. My brother bought it from the second owner in Whittier California in about 2010 or so. The car is an original completely rust free California Blue plate car. Car was sitting my brothers garage for the entire time until last year when I decided to take it off his hands and build my dream 02 out of it.

Engine

All engine main components hot tanked, stripped, iron block was painted with high heat paint, all alloy parts were vapor blasted.
Valve cover texture powder coated, all engine accessories black gloss powder coated.
Knife edged, balanced, polished crank.
Lightened factory flywheel.
King XP bearings in mains and rods.
e30 m3 oil pump
Ireland 144mm rods.
CP 10:1CR forged pistons with CP rings.
1.8i cylinder head, fully ported and polished then port matched to IE Weber manifold.
IE water divider manifold for dual Webers.
IE silicon coolant hose set.
New OEM heater control valve.
Cylinder head fully rebuilt with all new valves, guides, seals, rockers, billet keepers, custom grind 304 camshaft.
Brand new Weber 45DCOE152 carburetors with Redline top linkage and return spring.
Redline/K&N 1-3/4 filter setup with 16mm intake runners.
123 Bluetooth distributor, Magnecor ignition leads.
Facet 3psi electric fuel pump.
E30 M3 starter
Engine broken in and run Brad Penn 20/50 break in oil
Ireland engineering aluminum radiator.

Exhaust:
IE triple Y headers, light gray ceramic coated.
IE full Stainless Steel exhaust system.
All new hangers, gaskets and hardware.

Brakes:
Front Ireland engineering big brake kit (vented/cross drilled/slotted discs and 4 piston calipers)
Rear 320is big drums with brand new hydraulic cylinders and new shoes. Backplates and all hardware black gloss powder coated.
New hard brake lines along with all new stainless steel braided soft lines.
Rear drums painted high heat black.
New Ate brake master cylinder

Driveline:
Rebuilt Getrag 245 5 speed manual tranny.
Blunttech "ultimate 5 speed shifter" full kit. 
Fully rebuilt LSD 3.93 rear end.
Shortened and fully balanced/rebuilt driveshaft.
Rear CV axles completely rebuilt
New SKF rear wheel bearings
Redline lubricants in diff/trans (75w-90ns/75w-90)

Suspension.
Front:
Every single part was gloss black powder coated (subframe, arms, links, strut housings, etc).
Steering box rebuilt.
IE poly steering column joint
Koni struts
New Meyle control arms, lower ball joints, 
IE bushings throughout
IE camber plates
IE front sway bar setup
New SKF wheel bearings 
IE extended wheel studs
MOMO Prototipo 350mm steering wheel.

Rear:
Every single member was powder coated gloss black (subframe, arms, back plates, mounts, etc)
IE trailing arm bushings.
IE subframe mounts
IE differential mount bushings
IE extended wheel studs
Bilstein HD shocks.
Aardvark racing rear battery mount/strut brace.
IE sway bars.

Chassis:
Every single body seal was replaced: Door seals, lower door seals, rear vent window seals, front windshield seal, rear windshield seal, windshield trim, rear windshield trim, trunk seal, door glass inner scraper seals, door glass outer scraper seals. All of these parts are factory BMW parts.
During engine/driveline rebuild all hard to reach areas of the car were deep cleaned and sealed.
Engine wiring harness carefully re-wrapped in German loom tape.
New shift knob
New Shift boot (factory)
Headliner redone with OE headliner material, A and B pillars reupholstered with OE black vinyl.
New 680CA battery mounted in trunk and wired with e46 m3 batter cable run to trunk.
New flasher relay.
New flasher switch.
MOMO Prototipo 350mm

Wheels/Tires:
Rota RB 15x7 et 25, matte black powder coated.
Dunlop 195/50-15 tires

Interior: Still in the works but original seats are long gone and it is currently wearing Recaro LS seats out of a 88 Golf GTI. The car has a brand new headliner made with the correct BMW vinyl, the rear deck is also new and has been covered in factory BMW vinyl. The car is currently sitting at my interior shop having a new carpet put into it in the correct BMW material as well so it will be fresh for the new owner. The weak parts of the interior are the door panels/dash/rear seat which are all original and showing their age.

I have spent about 15K in parts on this car in the last two months and roughly 250 hours on it. This car is for someone who values a solid chassis with money invested to where it counts, this is not "lipstick on a pig"- in fact it's the exact opposite. The car is fast and mechanically just about perfect. The car is FAST, handles great, and it stops on a dime and gives you change! I just did a 900 mile rally and I chased some seriously fast 911's without skipping a beat, the car lost no oil and I just performed the third oil change. Car now has 1100 miles since rebuild.

Here is a video I made of the engine bay prior to installing engine, more vids coming when I get a chance.

if you are interested please reach out directly via email dorian@dvmechanics.com

IMG_3864.JPG

IMG_2822.jpg

IMG_3178.jpg

IMG_3222.jpg

IMG_3240.jpg

IMG_3410.jpg

IMG_3609.jpg

Edited by vespam5
typos
  • Like 2

Good lord is that sweet-was wondering when you would formally post this.

Ryan Danco still looking? Whaddya think???

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

6 hours ago, SteadFast said:

Any interior pictures? 

I have the car sitting at my favorite interior shop getting a new carpet and some general cleanup work getting done on the interior right now so I do not have any interior shots. My plan was to complete all this and then do a proper photo shoot so please excuse the process photos until this happens.

Here are a few engine assembly shots.

57091887383__098FAF1E-4F21-42CB-A7F2-614CA66209BF.JPG

57091895183__CAC06861-CB36-49BE-9A16-B467C4B674A5.JPG

57091897085__48260A1D-2B19-47D1-8F15-A8004E13FCB6.JPG

57091903329__10A24B5F-6EE1-4995-B120-03BF28BA5205.JPG

IMG_1924.JPG

IMG_1925.JPG

IMG_1927 2.JPG

IMG_2202.JPG

IMG_2251.JPG

• Like 3

Guys car will be a few more days at the interior shop. We are replacing the front and rear windshield seals with OEM ones along with OEM trims and clips. I expect it back Tuesday.

Here is a shot of the Spal pusher fan install along with a finely made harness which I made for it. It is triggered by a thermal switch from a e28 on the water divider and the relay is a Hella internally fused unit. It works great and keeps coolant temps right in the middle of the gauge.

IMG_4043.JPG

IMG_4061.jpg

Edited by vespam5
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...