ymanchik

Did early 02's not have a hazard switch?

6 posts / 270 viewsLast Reply

I have a 1970 2002 and where I should have a button for the hazards there is nothing there. Just a metal plug. Looking underneath, all the wiring goes there and looks like what I've seen other 2002's have. Am I missing the button?

And related to that. I just did the electronic flasher relay mod and everything works great but the relay makes the clicking noise as if my turn signals are on, and it shows up on my dash that they're on but the actual turn signals are not on. But when I engage the turn signal stalk, left or right, it clicks just a little bit faster and the turn signals work as they should. Once I take the stalk back to resting, it goes back to a slower clicking and the dash light goes off and on.

Any suggestions? 

IMG_5145.JPG

IMG_5146.JPG

The knob is missing, it screws in from the top.  It looks like the switch is there just no knob. 

1 minute ago, Preyupy said:

The knob is missing, it screws in from the top.  It looks like the switch is there just no knob. 

Thanks! I'll see if I can find one in the classifieds.

I think only very early 1600-2 in certain markets didn't get a hazard warning switch.

8 hours ago, NickVyse said:

I think only very early 1600-2 in certain markets didn't get a hazard warning switch.

At least for the US cars, even the really early 6v 66 and 67 cars had one, but it was mounted in an auxiliary switch panel under the steering column.  It was a pull out switch, similar to but not identical to the one used on the 68-early 71 cars and mounted atop the dash to the left of the instrument binnacle.  The earlier switch body was smaller in diameter than the later one, as the later one won't fit in that steering column switch panel (I tried!).

It was moved because the under column switch panel couldn't be fitted to '68 and later US cars because of the Federally mandated padding atop and below the metal column housing.  

And for the original poster (ymanchik)--the picture you show of what's presumably the hazard switch body doesn't look like the original one, which is black bakelite.  On the early cars using that particular switch, the wires were separate, not in a socket, and were different colors.  Yours are all black--not something BMW does as they color code their wires.  I suspect a PO swapped out the switch.  If you find an original (they're around) it has 7 terminals with a paper tag fitted over the terminals showing which wire goes where, by color.  Thus if you trace those three black wires (pictured) back up under the dash, you'll most likely find the original wires.  

Good luck--once you find the proper switch, undoing the current rig won't be too difficult.

mike

• Like 1