kidc

Wheels are rubbing - what are my options?

17 posts / 754 viewsLast Reply

(edited)

IMG_1621-1.thumb.jpeg.36eaddae2ead59fd8b9b4d7a23f544f0.jpeg

Hello there! 

Some of you may recognize this car, as I think it's shared some history with this forum. I became the lucky owner last October. My respects to Mr Bill Patterson!

In January I received these BBS RS 001's to replace the Rota RB's, but they are rubbing 😔. I hadn't expected it since on paper they're both 15x7 ET 25, and there were no rubbing issues with the RB's. I suspect these RS's might actually be slightly closer to ET 20, but I haven't measured. The car is on H&R Sport springs. 

Hopefully someone can explain whether this would be consistent with a knocking at the front on full lock and rubbing at the rear (make no mistake, my knowledge here is quite limited). I had 3mm spacers put on the front to better clear the control arm, and a bumpstop at the back to lessen the rubbing. Both made a noticeable difference but are not adequate as a solution. I've been reluctant to drive the car since, not helped by the recent weather in the bay area.

Insofar as I understand, my options are:

Smaller tyres (not many options tho?)

Roll the arches a little (where would I go to get this done in the bay area?!)

Coilovers ($$$ 😮)

Different springs (not sure where to start?)

I'd be very grateful for thoughts and advice on any/all the above, and your opinions on my best course of action here! 

In a perfect world I wouldn't have it sit a little lower at the front, too. Thanks! 🙏🏼

Edited by kidc

if you have a one or two dot spring pads in the rear you can go to a thicker one. Switch to a tire with a more rolled edge (s drives I think?) Roll the arches yourself with a baseball bat and a hair dryer (or heat gun if your girlfriend isn’t the understanding type). 

• Like 1

What tires are you currently running?

Rolling the fenders should help in the rear, and probably in the front, but if you're encountering rubbing on full lock it may be that the tire is rubbing on the inner fender well behind the wheel as well as (or in addition to) the fender lip

mike.  

7 minutes ago, mike said:

What tires are you currently running?

195/50's.

7 minutes ago, mike said:

Rolling the fenders should help in the rear, and probably in the front, but if you're encountering rubbing on full lock it may be that the tire is rubbing on the inner fender well behind the wheel as well as (or in addition to) the fender lip

Hmm interesting. That could be the case. The rear is very low while the front has a lot more travel room.

I think I'd like to avoid rolling the fenders if I can?

Sorry to hear about the rubbing. Do you have camber plates? Fixed or adjustable? I also know certain tire manufactures have different sidewalk bulges. Some are more square, while others are more round and bulge out the sidewall. I have have this problem with that sized wheel more often than not..especially stuffed under non-flared fender arches.. just something to check. Some tire shops will try different tires on your wheels to make sure they fit w/o rubbing.
Regards,
Matt

2 minutes ago, Schnellvintage said:

Sorry to hear about the rubbing. Do you have camber plates? Fixed or adjustable? I also know certain tire manufactures have different sidewalk bulges. Some are more square, while others are more round and bulge out the sidewall. I have have this problem with that sized wheel more often than not..especially stuffed under non-flared fender arches.. just something to check. Some tire shops will try different tires on your wheels to make sure they fit w/o rubbing.
Regards,
Matt

No camber plates as far as I know. 

These are the same tyres that were on the previous wheels; glad I didn't replace them at the time. The wheel shop I took it to just fitted the wheels and sent me on my way.. with insane rubbing at that time. Had to go back for the spacers & bumpstop. Not impressed & won't be back!

How's the condition of your front suspension bushes? If these are worn the wheel has more 'freedom' than designed and can start to rub.

First you would need know what ET the wheels have now. Also which outer lips you have. If there's an outer lip available that is half inch narrower it would be best option to get those. It would make the wheels 6,5" wide and give you some room to move around with spacers. If it's possible I would do this at least to front, but it depends on what you have. 

(edited)

I've got BBS RS001's et25 with 195's on Brunhilde with zero rub. She's dropped 50mm all around with H&R Sport-Cup Suspension, with Ireland fixed camber plates up front. 

It took some pretty generous rolling and pulling of the fronts to fit, but was an easy job with a hub-mounted fender roller, and looks pretty stock.  

I can go full-lock, and hammer corners pretty dang hard and haven't found rub with the setup yet. 

Rears were no issue whatsoever, and didn't require any modification. If they did, because of the multiple layers of metal in the lips, I don' t think you could roll them if you had to...

Where exactly are you experiencing rub?? And in what scenarios? 

Edited by 2002Scoob

51 minutes ago, 2002Scoob said:

I've got BBS RS001's et25 with 195's on Brunhilde with zero rub. She's dropped 50mm all around with H&R Sport-Cup Suspension, with Ireland fixed camber plates up front. 

5 hours ago, kidc said:

... on paper they're both 15x7 ET 25, and there were no rubbing issues with the RB's. I suspect these RS's might actually be slightly closer to ET 20, but I haven't measured. The car is on H&R Sport springs. 

You need to actually verify what you have as it is pretty clear you don’t have et25. Given the modular nature of the wheels, you could legitimately have a number of combos. At least you have the possibility of correcting this with replacement barrels / lips. 

And just for posterity, the Yoko S drives are big and square.  If one is having problems with tire rub, these won't help.

OP, there are rumored to be lots of really good 2002 shops in the Bay Area.  I'd start developing a relationship with at least one of those...

Aré you sure you have a square set and not an staggered one? Might be that 2 wheels are say 7.5...8s 

just thinking out loud here....

• Like 1

I have BBS RS001 with 205/50 square. The perfect recipe for me was Ground Control coilovers in front along with their camber plates and 3mm spacer. You can really dial in your setup that way.
In the rear I have Ground Control rear spring adjusters and camber/toe adjustment kit from IE.
All for me has been a great setup with no rubbbing.
The initial cost of it all sucks but it will be justified when you don’t have to worry about it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 4/8/2019 at 12:27 AM, kidc said:

The rear is very low while the front has a lot more travel room.

A help at the rear if it's low as you state--particularly if you moved your battery to the rear--is to check the rubber spacers atop the rear springs.  They come in three different thicknesses, denoted by "dots" (actually round depressions drilled into the spacer).  One dots are the thinnest, and 3 dots the thickest.  So if you have a one dot spacer you can raise the rear end with a two or three dot spacer...

mike