Alpina A4 Einzeldrosselanlage Systemz (Part deux)

Seems like a lot of folks were interested (at least peripherally).  Just passing info here in case anyone is still down in the dumps missing out on the other auction....(Nm/Na).

I had the opportunity to buy these car a number of years ago, baikal 73 tii with A4 system + airbox.  EARLY Alpina manifolds (pre - bridge typ), these are really rare and have the 'Alpina' casting in them.  No idea if it has an Alpina pump or regular tii.  It was an east coast car and has some rust (some at least).  It was $16k then maybe 8 or more years ago, will be a helluvalot more now.  I inquired a few months ago when I saw it, never heard back from the old coupeking, so it may or may not be available.

Coupe King A4 project Car

Cahsel, has both the throttles + Wonky air box (linkage not shown, should ask it it comes with, kinda critical to have, although could be made).  He also has two complete motors with A4 systems on them.  His stuff is never inexpensive and was probably watching that auction, heck who knows, he may have been the winner.  The throttles are listed under "AlpinA" parts and the motors are in the motor section.  Never dealt with him, have gotten some quotes for some items, which are always answered promptly, other than that no experience.

Cahsel Tuning

Modul motorsport has a set, again no linkage shown, assume it doesn't have the air box (I would anyway).  No idea on cost or condition.

Modul Motorsport

• 1 year later...
57 minutes ago, mccusername said:

No airbox or throttle linkage.  But it does look like it was touched by the hands of God -- or at least Alpina.....

• Like 1
3 hours ago, mccusername said:

The engine block appears to have been cast on November 23, 1971 (“23L” inside oval frame and “71” just outside the oval frame). VIN 2706952 is/was a Euro-spec tii produced within the 1971 calendar year, presumably between November 23 and December 31, 1971.

Thus, the starting point of this build was simply an engine out of a factory production car.

Even if incomplete, luscious! What’s up with the different colored valve covers shown in the photos? Tidied up and painted a more authentic color for this sale?

Regards,

Steve

504A5230-5D29-480C-B224-7CF2BCA05100.png

2245FC3B-868E-41D3-8461-9B4BAA9A3E8F.png

19D1E10A-9B01-4CE5-8865-9B9229062150.png

Edited by Conserv
1 hour ago, SydneyTii said:

Guys, What's the ball park for a set of ITB's and inlet manifold these days in good condition? 

Ideally, you also need the injection pump customized to the ITB set-up. There was a thread within the last year or two — “he said, realizing his sense of time might be way off!“ — discussing the auction of a complete set-up. I seem to recall the selling price was like 10K Euro or, maybe 10K USD. In other words, it was more than I had in my pocket... 😉

Best regards,

Steve

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, inkatouring said:

No airbox or throttle linkage.  But it does look like it was touched by the hands of God -- or at least Alpina.....

🙂

My gut is that a BMW 2002 specific Alpina A4 airbox is likely more rare than the throttle body itself, interestingly enough. Rare to see an A4 system for sale, but beyond rare to see a proper airbox.

Jason

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JsnPpp said:

🙂

My gut is that a BMW 2002 specific Alpina A4 airbox is likely more rare than the throttle body itself, interestingly enough. Rare to see an A4 system for sale, but beyond rare to see a proper airbox.

Hmmm.....

1. Airboxes are removed for service far more often than throttle bodies?

2. Airboxes are easier to dent, bend, or damage than throttle bodies?

3. Alpina airboxes may have been used on systems that were "not Alpina"?

4. Unlike BMW, which likely produced a sizeable number of replacement airboxes, Alpina probably produced few replacement A4S airboxes?

5. An Alpina airbox looks great, just hanging on the wall? ☺️

Perhaps these, Jason, add up to, or at least contribute to, the scarcity of A4S airboxes....

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

Many years ago a fellow by the name of Jeff Mulcahey (sp?) founder of the tii register, tested his 72tii/A4 at road atlanta - with and without airbox.  The car was faster with the airbox......he figured the slight increase in speed/power was due to the ram air achieved with the airbox.....seems logical to me.....

• Like 1
On 6/9/2020 at 12:47 PM, markmac said:

Many years ago a fellow by the name of Jeff Mulcahey (sp?) founder of the tii register, tested his 72tii/A4 at road atlanta - with and without airbox.  The car was faster with the airbox......he figured the slight increase in speed/power was due to the ram air achieved with the airbox.....seems logical to me.....

It's jeff mulchahey and he introduced me to A4 systems and I spent a lot of time lusting over his Ceylon tii.  Beautiful car.  He sold the tii and got an e21 Hartge 323i and then moved on to Ferarris.  Lost touch with him but he's in Indiana now IIRC.

• Like 1

Some of the air boxes were from E21 320i and the bottom part was not suitable for 02. That is why mine had no air box. Most took it off thinking it restricted horsepower, that how I purchased one. It took about 2 years to find one. Came from a shop in Munich.