floatinghead

Is my starter on its way out?

27 posts / 861 viewsLast Reply

Well, hold your horses.

Let's step back and use some logic to solve this problem... See attached photo.

starter-wiring.jpg

The wiring diagram has the terminal numbers marked also.

3 hours ago, flagoworld said:

Well, hold your horses.

Let's step back and use some logic to solve this problem... See attached photo.

starter-wiring.jpg

What makes you think the top terminal is ‘grounded to the case’? It sits underneath but isn’t connected to the lug with the wire from the solenoid to the motor itself. 

Use a multi-tester and check for continuity from each of the two small posts to the case.  The one that has no continuity is left alone in your situation.  The one with continuity to the case is the one to connect to.  it operates the solenoid.

The unused post gets power only when the starter is energized to to crank, it is used on late cars to the coil.

(edited)

Maybe I wasn't clear.. the "case" of the motor, is what I meant, not the solenoid. The wire that connects the solenoid (-) to the motor should be the common ground and with a multimeter you can read continuity between the case of the motor and the top post as well as the terminal the wire connects to. You can also see a direct connection between those two terminals. A piece of metal soldered on. You can sort of see it in my photo attached (bad angle) and sort of see it in his photo. But he can see it just fine in his hand. Please confirm, floatinghead? Terminals D and C should be directly connected to the wire that runs to the motor. This is the negative/ground side of the circuit.

(From the perspective of the motor, though the wire in is the + and the case is the -, I believe, but we are looking at the solenoid.)

IMG_DBC0CD749DBD-1.jpeg

Edited by flagoworld

Thanks for discussing!  I will check when i get home and can take a better photo of the top of the solenoid

When i got home, I cleaned off the old starter and for the life of me, couldn't find a number anywhere.  I took some photos and it looks like post A appears to be  the switched power terminal.  The top posts are connected to the ground wire as seen in the picture, just as you said Flagoworld.    

Unless i'm missing something, i think i'm good to put the new one on and wire it up.

thanks for your help.

Baron

2002-Starter-040519-03.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, floatinghead said:

When i got home, I cleaned off the old starter and for the life of me, couldn't find a number anywhere.  I took some photos and it looks like post A appears to be  the switched power terminal.  The top posts are connected to the ground wire as seen in the picture, just as you said Flagoworld.    

Unless i'm missing something, i think i'm good to put the new one on and wire it up.

thanks for your help.

Baron

2002-Starter-040519-03.png

Yup, looks right. I tell ya... there's nothing like understanding a problem when it comes to solving it :P

99% of the battle right there. I prefer to understand something rather than just take it for granted that "this is how it goes".

• Thanks 1

Except what is labeled as a ground wire (green circle) is not a ground.  It is the power feed to the starter motor fields.  The big terminals have on the inside of the solenoid big contacts that a big copper disk on the solenoid core slaps against after the solenoid pulls the starter gear into the ring gear on the engine and send full battery amps to the starter motor.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, flagoworld said:

Yes. But from the perspective of the solenoid that is the negative side of the circuit?

There will be 12v full battery amps there when the solenoid closes.  Where does the negative come in?  Connect a wire from that post to ground and see what happens when the key is turned to start.  Report your findings after the smoke clears.

• Haha 1

UPDATE:  something is not right...

So i finally received new intake runner gaskets (3&4) and proceeded to put it all back together.  also replaced + and -  battery cables as the + wouldn't reach and the - was pretty old and oily.  I had done a test start ( fuel pump fuse pulled) before putting the runners back and it seemed to engage fine with no weird noises.

well, after putting it all back together it started up fine once fuel got where it needed, but i'm getting a weird knock or transmission related sound when i try to move fwd/ backwards and after I shut it down I'll get a few clunks.  When in neutral, there is no other noise. 

I did lose one of the starter nuts when trying to reattach them and lost it.  Put another one on and starter appears secure.  

what am i missing?  or did something else just happen to fail after I put it all back together.

thanks,

Baron