Sold Fjord '76

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

(edited)
Price: $5000

Description:

Here's the Craigslist link:

https://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/cto/d/lutz-1976-bmw-2002/6812741465.html

Hey all,

I was doing the nightly Craigslist browse a while back and found my old Fjord Blue '76 for sale by the person who bought it from me.  It's a good little car and I'd like to see it go into good hands, so I figured I'd post it here because he seems to be having trouble selling it (for sale now for two months, down from $6000).  For the record, I sold it to him about a year ago for around $3600 . . .

Anyways since then it looks like he's added some missing trim pieces, changed the steering wheel, painted the wheels, tuned it a bit and added almost $2000 to the asking price.  Ooof

That being said, it's a good little car and is extremely original.  Here's my write up from a year ago when I was selling it:

I have photos from my ownership if you'd like them.  They are a lot more extensive than his. 

The short:
Good:
* runs, drives, stops well
* good condition interior
* crack-free dash
* no rear tower rust

Bad:
* will likely need new doors and driver's fender (refer to photos)
* spare tire rust

The long:
History: I'm the forth owner. Bought at new BMW dealership in Nashville, sold to second owner in '79, he owned it from then to '94, during which he imported it to and from England while he worked in Europe for Coke. Third owner bought it from him in the Atlanta area, where it stayed until last July when I bought it off of him, becoming the forth owner. I have a 3" thick folder of records from each owner, detailing its travels and repairs to a surprising amount of detail. Odometer has rolled over once but is no longer working. I suspect the car to have something like 170k miles.

Engine: Very clean inside, has been rebuilt in 90's I believe. Could find an exact date if needed. Replaced front main seal recently, still leaks a tiny amount from head gasket and valve cover. No cracks. Timing done recently. Weber 32/36 in decent shape, doesn't always start first time when cold, could be fuel pump, but it'll start after a minute or two of fiddling with the throttle, choke, etc.

Drivetrain: Stock four speed. No pop out, works as should. Clutch is fine as well, grabs as expected. Some metal 'clanging' at 3000 rpm occasionally, perhaps the flywheel or loose exhaust banging against the underbody. Not sure, but doesn't bother me, never really something I was concerned about. Front calipers are new and from a mid 2000's Toyota, dual piston. Rear drums have been rebuilt. Overall drives very well. Some play in steering box, haven't checked to tighten.

Body: Worst aspect of car. Driver's fender and door will need replacing unless you're patient with body work. Same goes for passenger door, but could be repaired with less effort. Door brakes were gone and dented both doors . . . I've taken rust mitigation steps in ''permanent" parts of the car as well as parts that are in good enough shape to be restored instead of replaced. Rear tire well will need to be replaced unless you don't care for originality. Probably a 3" x 8" section that needs to be cut and replaced. Floor pans have rust but could be repaired, no need to replace. No rust besides that on the underside. Shock towers solid and rust free. Paint is a 6/10 elsewhere, no compromising clear coat fade.

Interior. Completely stock and in good condition. Carpet will need replacing. Had Bher AC center console originally, I took it out and sold it in the past year. Dash has NO cracks.

Some electrical issues, nothing major.
I have the original front diving board bumper as well as most of the trim pieces you see missing. Some other parts included as well.

00O0O_k0Y7IfuYQ7v_1200x900.jpg

Edited by IWantOne
Price change
  • Like 1

I actually considered purchasing this car and looked at it. It appears that the front end has been driven back into the doors, there is a pretty good amount of damage. The trim on the drivers side is chrome look tape on type plastic trim that has been attached where the metal trim should be. Th car also has a pretty good amount if rust. I did not drive it but the engine sounded ok when I tool a really quick listen to it. In my opinion, the car is a donor car at this point in its life. 

It was my understanding during ownership that both doors are creased in such a way because the door brakes were both broken - at some point both doors overextended and met the fenders and caused the damage you see.  I fixed the driver's side brake, but the passenger side no longer has one. 

5 hours ago, IWantOne said:

It was my understanding during ownership that both doors are creased in such a way because the door brakes were both broken - at some point both doors overextended and met the fenders and caused the damage you see.  I fixed the driver's side brake, but the passenger side no longer has one. 

I have not seen this particular car, but this is a very common form of ‘02 damage.

Regards,

Steve