• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vin success!! 1565738!!!!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

...Yeah, that's right, I'm a dummy. I was so concerned with the rivited-on plate on the inner fender well that I thought that was what everyone was talking about. I completely overlooked the number stamped into the unibody. Oh well. So I guess my car is a 68ish 1600! Still unsure of the engine, as there was no VIN (it appeared to be scraped off) and the only mark I could find was a 20 or 2.0 on the block behind the head. I would cautiously assume that it's a 2 liter but.. So now I'll have to start doing research on my new 1600, or 1600-2 or however it's designated! Thanks everyone for helping me through my own oversight!

-Alan

68 1600!

83 320i

78 323i

Guest Anonymous

But I have reciepts showing that it was replaced in Dec 2002. But if you're saying that the E12 head will only work w/2.0L pistons, then that seals it. I have a feeling that this car has undergone a lot of changes since it was new. Thanks!

-Alan

Guest Anonymous

but it would be quite difficult to put a 2 liter head onto a block that is bored for 1600/1800 pistons.

I think you're safe assuming you have 2 liter engine.

John N

Guest Anonymous

02f12aaa.jpg

is a dead give away that the block is indeed a 2 ltr. Weird that someone would grind the block VIN off and not the VIN stamped into the car.. Yay for finding out what it is though!

Guest Anonymous

My 1565425 is a '69 and according to "The BMW "02 Series - The Cult Car" it is a 1602. It has a an E12 head also, but on a 320 2.0 block w/weber 45DCOEs Schrick 284 cam, stahl header, and numerous other modifications.

Guest Anonymous

LOOK ON THE SIDE OF THE BLOCK UNDER THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD - FROM UNDERNEATH - AND YOU'LL SEE A CLOCK LIKE CIRCLE WITH A MONTH AND YEAR DATE FOR PRODUCTION OF THE BLOCK, AND , ALSO LOOK IN SAME AREA FOR 2.0 1.6 1.8 MARKINGS .

Guest Anonymous

Thanks everyone for helping me out here. Roger, how do your emblems look in the back? Do they say 1600, or 1602, and where is the roundel placed? I've seen so many different variations. I'll tentatively call my car a 69. Does your car have the chrome instrument surround, or is it like the other early 2002s with the aluminum look center circles? Just trying to button down what is original and what someone has changed. Thanks again everyone for helping me figure this out!!

-Alan

*69* 02

83 320i

78 323i