• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

13" performance tires?

72Tank

I created a doc from all the posts I saw on FAQ and FB.  This is more of an attempt at a comprehensive list, vs. "all high performance", FYI.  Here goes:

image.png.59e5a8905a78d66dbadc2eb75987ed59.png

• Like 4

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

I'm going to try out the Kumho track day tire, which should be a true performance tire as it's available in a number of compounds. The xdx and cn36 are probably better for street use. I suspect the Kumho will deliver limited mileage like my last pair of Yokohamas. But so what, if it's performance  then all in, I have some XAS for travelling.

Andrew

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/26/2019 at 5:54 AM, uai said:

Yes CN36 are the best Allround Tires available. But for performance and classic looks Avon CR6ZZ is the answer. If you’re looking for wider tires there are Michelin tb5 and tb15 in 13“ but the narrow ones are either 175/60 or 185/55 so a very low profile the wider are 245 width. Hoosier also had something but not available/street legal in Germany. 

I don't know how the CR6ZZ https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/vintage-tyres/avon-cr6zz.html got the reputation of looking classic, because they just aren't. they weren't invented until really quite recently.

the CN36 However is double cool and so '60s. they came out in 1968. they were one of the first 70% profile tyres.

XAS a bit earlier in 1965. the first asymmetric radial 

I wouldn't want you to get the impression that i'm knocking the CR6ZZ. I'm not, they are definitely great tyres for racing or Rallying, and unlike everything else in the size 185/70VR13 (Except CN36 & XDX) they have a carcass designed to mimic the features of the CN36 and XDX in that they have the rounded shoulders of a period tyre that helps little rear wheel drive cars like a 2002 handle in a progressive manner.

Personally i would go with 165HR13 XAS FF. because i like my tyres thin because i rate handling with classic cars, above grip. ( I dont have too much wheel spin. and i don't lock up my wheels braking in a straight line.) However if i had the wider wheels i would fit CN36. they are so much lighter than the CR6ZZ and they look loads  better and are actually period. Our options are on here https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/bmw/2002.html 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

11 minutes ago, Longstone Tyres said:

Next time I need a set - You folks will be my FIRST call! I got a set in the US a few months ago, and I LOVE these tires/ tyres! I didn't realize how awful my previous Khumo tires were until installing the CN36s! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

I do have a question for those of you also in love with the CN36 Pirellis:

Have any of you noticed increased road noise versus other more "modern" tires (especially at lower speeds)? Before I start swapping wheels to check this, I thought I'd ask. My car sounds as if it's got loud wheel bearings / differential / center support bearing noises, but everything thus far has checked out...so I'm HOPING it's just the tires. I don't recall (last autumn) any sudden increase in noise, but my memory is foggy. I've even gone as far as to replace the driveshaft support and guibo to eliminate it.... but it's still there. 

Please tell me it's just the tread making noise, and that I won't be replacing my rear bearings on the side of the highway this summer! :D

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

7 hours ago, wegweiser said:

Please tell me it's just the tread making noise, and that I won't be replacing my rear bearings on the side of the highway this summer!

I think I'm the most neurotic about the sounds my car makes.  I have a mental list that would drive a passenger crazy, if I used my outside voice.

What's that sound?

What's that sound?

Do you hear that?  

I wish I could say they are noisy.  It's one sound that I haven't heard and I'm used to different tires sounds as I change from summer to winter tires annually on my DD.  Winter tires put up a hell of a racket, to my ear.

SO...now that you mention it, I will be driving and listening for tire noise from my CN36s.  :o  Thanks a lot! :D

Edited by PaulTWinterton
  • Haha 1

73 Inka Tii #2762958

31 minutes ago, MrAdams said:

RF.thumb.jpg.b4eb212f7aa3751d67307a0279c3c480.jpg

Interesting, but they don't look like 185/70 R13 tires to me, so not quite comparable to the CN36. I was looking at those, but even the 14" variant that would fit on my E30 basketweaves has a smaller diameter than my 165R13 Michelin XAS tires and 15" rims are a no-go for me. I would like to see what the 205/60/13 would look like in my wheel wells, because they are 40mm smaller than the CN36. Gearing might be better though.

Andrew

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

4 hours ago, Oldtimerfahrer said:

Interesting, but they don't look like 185/70 R13 tires to me, so not quite comparable to the CN36. I was looking at those, but even the 14" variant that would fit on my E30 basketweaves has a smaller diameter than my 165R13 Michelin XAS tires and 15" rims are a no-go for me. I would like to see what the 205/60/13 would look like in my wheel wells, because they are 40mm smaller than the CN36. Gearing might be better though.

Andrew

yea, these are 205's you are correct.