• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coolant Fitting?

rcf925

1 hour ago, rcf925 said:

I have 68 02 with E12 head

A '68 would have originally had a 121 head--and both the 121 head and the heater core on a '68 use smaller diameter heater hoses (and thus smaller nipples) than what would have come on an E12 head.  So, if your '68 still has its original heater, you may need the adapter and the smaller nipple for it to work with your existing heater.  Either that, or make up an adapter to neck down the larger diameter hose coming from the head to the smaller nipple on the heater core.  

Check OEM.com for the parts book picture to see what I mean.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

So, do I assume that you want the screw in part for an E12? It is much larger than 18mm, more like 30mm

I don't know if they are NLA, and if so, I have "a few" if you need one in a pinch. You will have to get the aluminum seal.

the bigger question is if your head already has one and is corroded, or none at all.

If you have one installed, I caution you on its removal as generally they are corroded in place and you may resort to buggering up the threads removing it. The last two I did, I buggered up the threads and had to pay a machinist with the proper tap to chase the threads. Expensive.

On 3/22/2019 at 3:27 PM, Einspritz said:

So, do I assume that you want the screw in part for an E12? It is much larger than 18mm, more like 30mm

I don't know if they are NLA, and if so, I have "a few" if you need one in a pinch. You will have to get the aluminum seal.

the bigger question is if your head already has one and is corroded, or none at all.

If you have one installed, I caution you on its removal as generally they are corroded in place and you may resort to buggering up the threads removing it. The last two I did, I buggered up the threads and had to pay a machinist with the proper tap to chase the threads. Expensive.

I have the big threaded piece all ready in the head, I just need the hose fitting that screws into it on E12. If I have to neck down to heater core thats ok

OK; the threaded hole on the back of any head (E12 or not) is the same. What is different is the fitting changed from a two piece, which I believe you have, and a one piece, which is the "later" style.

the only other difference is the diameter of the nipple; early are smaller than later.

I haven't looked to see if you can just get the nipple...that you will have to do.

If that doesn't work out, and you can't get the superseded one piece, then that is what I have.

37 minutes ago, Einspritz said:

OK; the threaded hole on the back of any head (E12 or not) is the same. What is different is the fitting changed from a two piece, which I believe you have, and a one piece, which is the "later" style.

the only other difference is the diameter of the nipple; early are smaller than later.

I haven't looked to see if you can just get the nipple...that you will have to do.

If that doesn't work out, and you can't get the superseded one piece, then that is what I have.

I ordered one from Egypt of all places, Will see when it shows up