BarrettN

Parting out a '76 02 w '69 engine

9 posts / 730 viewsLast Reply

The body on this poor car is hammered - rusted through the hood and roof. Minor rust in the rear deck lid and doors. Lots of all the bits and pieces that always seem to be needed. I just jacked it up last night to see what diff it has in it - turn the rear wheel, opposite wheel turns backwards - but the driveshaft doesn't turn at all! Of course, it ran when parked :)

I think trim bits and other such things are what this is going to be best for - let me know if you need anything.

Hey Barrett,

Did you already haul off the car? how is the wiper motor? I would like to checkout the motor and linkage. 

Darrin

I do have some things that I won't be needing - anything in particular that you're looking for?

Barrett,

I recently purchased a 1976 02 “barn find” from California.  It is relatively rust free but needs brake work and the engine is blown.  I was thinking about just replacing the engine w another engine and wanted to see if; 1) your 69’ engine is available?, and 2) does it operate well?

Also, I may be interested in some trim work.

I live in Kingwood but would love to see your ‘02 projects.

Thanks,

Bruce

Hi Bruce - 

Congratulations on finding your 02! I about have finished completely dismembering my parts car. As it turns out, while the engine is a '69 block when looking at it closer it turned out to have a '74 e12 head on it, and even better, the distributor was actually the right one for my '74 tii. I'm in the process of mothballing the engine, hopefully I don't need it any time soon, but my plans are to hold on to it.

I do have belt trim pieces but not a full set. Any time you're up in the NW Houston area you're more than welcome to stop by, it would be nice to meet. There's a WhatsApp group of Houston 02 owners - let me know if you'd like to be a part of it and I'll ask the owner of the group to add you. Here's a picture of my "keeper".

Barrett

20190108_142221.jpg

Here is a picture of my new project.  It needs a brake refresh and the engine needs to be rebuilt to get it on the road.

Thanks for the WhatsApp offer and I will gladly take you up on it.  Any assistance and guidance from Fellow 02 enthusiast in the Houston area would be most helpful.

D28B0ECF-19F9-4A44-BA58-DE22B6161C75.png

Wow, your car looks great - hard to beat a California car for a clean body. When you say the engine is "blown"  - are we talking low\no compression or what? 

Maybe best to hold those answers until I get you added to the WhatApp chat where more people can respond - there's one guy in the group (Rudy) that has 6-7 02s (and 7 e30 M3s, and more) so there's a wealth of knowledge there. WhatsApp works off of phone numbers, send me your for me to be able to get you added.

I need to do brakes on mine as well - I think I'm going to go for Ireland Engineering's stainless steel lines, $90 for the set and they're DOT approved. You might want to check with Terry Sather in Austin for your rebuild, he's the 02 whisperer closest to us. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.