• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

m2 died while driving...

irdave

S14 with stock e30m3 ecu.  Was driving down the road, got about a mile away from the house, put the clutch in to change down to go around a corner and the car turned off.  Home in the shop now, going to pull the plugs for a look.  Believed to have fuel (gauge appears to have been working for the last couple of months.)  Car has been running fine with no issues and has always started immediately.  No smell of gas.

So plugs / cap / rotor, then fuel pump fuses / relays, then other electrical connectors...  Thoughts?

(So much for going to the dentist today...)

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

Check your ignition system first--make sure the low tension (12v) side is functioning--that the ignition is getting its 12 volts--necessary to energize the coils.  Once you've established the 12 volts, then work your way back from the spark plugs. 

The fact that it shut down suddenly and on all four cylinder usually indicates an ignition problem, although with electricity involved with fuel delivery it could be power feeding the injectors.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

When I first installed my S14 I had a ground wire for one of the injectors that had broken most of the strands internal to the casing.  As a result one injector would not fire and the engine would not run without starter ether, but there was just enough strands left that all injector wires tested positive for continuity.  It was a pain to find the wire and re-run, but simple to test by squirting starter fluid into the intake plenum.  The car would run as long as it had the starter fluid, but died once it used up the starter fluid.  

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

40 minutes ago, irdave said:

I love how they start and run. I hate all the sensors.

Got the plug wires off...

IMG_20190320_095602287.jpg

well....that is a good clue.  pretty sure all the plug boots are attached to the plug wires on my S14's..........

there is also supposed to be a coil primary wire in that loom.

20190316_172324.jpg

20190319_155742.jpg

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

Mine almost stalled and died the other day. Revved fine stationary but couldn't take any gas with gear... limped to garage. Reason: altenator ground wire was broken off from the engine (water tube) end. Made a new one and all good since.

Symptoms started also after a turn :)

Edited by tzei

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91

57 minutes ago, halboyles said:

Sure thing.  Nice excuse...

I used to not hate going to the dentist...

52 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

It might be time to upgrade that M2 to M10.

And I've got a fresh hot-rod m10 sitting here looking at me...

39 minutes ago, mike said:

Check your ignition system first--make sure the low tension (12v) side is functioning--that the ignition is getting its 12 volts--necessary to energize the coils.  Once you've established the 12 volts, then work your way back from the spark plugs.

12V to the hot side of the coil.  Pulled the fuel pump fuse to turn on the ignition without the fuel pump.  Went to put the fuse back in, because I didn't remember if the pump was turning on, blown fuse.  New fuse, immediately popped with the key.  So likely a wiring issue- hopefully anyways- it's running on a tii pump.  Maybe I ought to check some fuel pressure when it gets back up and running...  Anybody else running a tii pump with an s14?  Think that's enough pressure?

Dave.

26 minutes ago, mlytle said:

well....that is a good clue.  pretty sure all the plug boots are attached to the plug wires on my S14's..........

there is also supposed to be a coil primary wire in that loom.

Plural.  Jerk.  :)

New wires coming from Kingsborne, maybe here Monday.  My socket won't fit down the head, so ordered one of those, here tomorrow.

I'm hoping that'll give it a little more pep.  I've been a little underwhelmed by the s14 so far, I'm hoping getting all this sorted will make the difference.  I need to find an e30m3 locally and drive it to compare.  Haltech ECU is waiting in the wings...  But I probably should just do a tune up before I complain too much.

Edited by irdave
Tease Marshall.

Dave.

Start with this:

Did you check your temperature sensors resistance values while cold, hot?

Did you check your fuel pump relay?

Do you have an ICV installed? Check the resistance values of the three pins?

IF the ICV internal valve has frozen or ceases to rotate in a free manner, then the likelyhood of you frying the ECU transistors is great. VERY GREAT.

See picture for black square "ON588" there are two. Corrosion / overheating can be seen on the back side of the board.

IF you have these replaced, or are swapping in a "known good" ECU, you will fry that as well unless you replace the ICV.

PB270963.JPG

24 minutes ago, irdave said:

I'm hoping that'll give it a little more pep.  I've been a little underwhelmed by the s14 so far, I'm hoping getting all this sorted will make the difference.  I need to find an e30m3 locally and drive it to compare.  Haltech ECU is waiting in the wings... 

Don't bother. You will be even more underwhelmed in the heavier e30m3..   I couldn't rip it out and sell it fast enough for a k24 turbo swap. E30m3 is much more fun now!

72'  2002 turbo build - under construction...