• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kugelfischer guide

Every picture and word in that guide is implanted in my brain for at least 10 years now.  You really need to know the details if you want to work on your own tii.  I highly recommend to any owner that doesn't have a complete understanding of the system to read and follow the procedures in that guide to achieve a synchronized system.

Then you can add an AFR and mess with the fuel (verboten) screw if you need to.

Edited by PaulTWinterton
  • Like 4

73 Inka Tii #2762958

8 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

I highly recommend to any owner that doesn't have a complete understanding of the system to read and follow the procedures in that guide to achieve a synchronized system.

Then you can add an AFR and mess with the fuel (verboten) screw if you need to.

I would think an AFR should really help fine tune the K-Fish, at least that’s what I’m thinking 

2D1CD065-334D-4384-8078-277DDEA42F08.thumb.jpeg.5dedee05839b82f56d08dc43fc960a3c.jpeg

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

3 hours ago, rstclark said:

OKAY. Where ?  In case I ever need to knowimageproxy.php?img=&key=c723ef59fd17d18f

Can't see it from that angle.  It interacts with the Warm Up Regulator.  Ten mm hex nut around a screw with either an allen hex or a flat blade slot.

I can't imaging trying to do anything tuning wise with a tii without a wide band o2 sensor.

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

And for those of you using or installing AFR gauges and wideband sensors... don't get all wrapped up in trying for that perfect 14.7:1 air/fuel ratio. Modern fuels, yadda yadda... and winter fuels seem to make mine run leaner than summer fuels do. Adjust accordingly.

Some notes follow:

My own tii prefers fatter idle mixtures (12.9:1 seems to do it, and anything leaner causes a slight surge)

You don't want it too lean at 5000+ rpm / full throttle. Especially if you're running high comp pistons. Mine settles in at around 12.9-13.5 in that range

As you drive, the mixture will constantly change. Don't let it drive you crazy.

Set your ignition timing and valve adjustment  FIRST:

For a tii: 32 degrees maximum advance at 3500rpm and above. Your timing at idle will be whatever... not nearly as important for preventing engine damage! I use only the front timing marks on the pulley for this. I never bother squinting at the flywheel marks...which is way more work IMHO. 

make sure your distributor is actually advancing properly throughout the rpm range. You need an adjustable timing light for this. An essential tool - even if you're just double-checking your fancy whiz-bang 1-2-3 distributor. It's easy to install the 1-2-3 and still be off by a couple degrees when compared to actual ignition timing checked with a timing light! ALWAYS double check!

And yes....an AFR gauge is a fantastic tuning aid. I wish all 2002s had them!

Edited by wegweiser
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

2 hours ago, wegweiser said:

As you drive, the mixture will constantly change. Don't let it drive you crazy.

I decided that mine would live in the glove box, as I was fixated on watching it, even when I was satisfied with my mixture.  It was making me crazy.

Out of sight out of mind.

Gauge in Car1.jpg

• Like 2

73 Inka Tii #2762958

5 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

I decided that mine would live in the glove box, as I was fixated on watching it, even when I was satisfied with my mixture.  It was making me crazy.

Out of sight out of mind.

Gauge in Car1.jpg

I installed mine (install is a loose term here) temporarily laying on my center console, because i was CONVINCED that I'd unplug it as soon as I got the mixtures where I wanted them...That was 18 months ago...the thing is still rolling around staring at me with happy mixture numbers. "Fixated" is an apt term.... I gotta do something else with it! :D

• Like 2

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com